Options

Need help with setting up the NIC

SunnySahotaSunnySahota Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Need your assistant with a problem I'm encountering.

Here's the scenario;
I am studying for the 70-640 exam and have installed Windows Server 2008 R2.

I am running the server off a vm on VMWare, and the Host OS is Windows 7 (fully updated with SP1)
In VMWare I have assigned 4GB RAM and 80GB Hard Disk space to the Server install.
The system is made up of;
Core i7 930
ASUS Sabertooth x58
12 GB RAM
1TB hard drive

I am following the MS Press book and when I try to set the static IP address according to what it says to in the book, I get an error on the NIC (unidentified network). If I set it to obtain an IP address automatically it works without a problem.

Could someone tell me how to go about setting up the NIC on the vm so that it allows me to set a static IP address in server 2008 (on the vm) so that it works and allows me to access the internet?

Thanks,
Sunny

Comments

• Options
    rphannrphann Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You have to configure the settings in VMware. Under Devices settings, check the "Bridged" Network Connection settings. This will allow the server to access the physical network which is connected to the Internet. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    rphann wrote: »
    You have to configure the settings in VMware. Under Devices settings, check the "Bridged" Network Connection settings. This will allow the server to access the physical network which is connected to the Internet. Hope this helps.

Thanks for replying rphann. I have selected the "Bridged" option in the Virtual Machine Settings in VMWare. After booting up the virtual machine with the server installed on it, I still get a connection error (unidentified network) when setting a static IP address and DNS server.

I am trying to set the following:

IP Address: 192.168.5.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.5.1

Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.5.1

and doing so results in the "Unidentified network. No network access" error on the network adapter icon_rolleyes.gif

Is there something blindingly obvious I am overlooking, I get the feeling I am?
  • Options
    cpartincpartin Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The problem is that you're using arbitrary network settings out of a book which don't match up to the actual network which you're bridging to. Since the DHCP option is working, select the obtain IP address automatically option and see what IP / subnet / gateway you get on the server VM. You can look at this by running "ipconfig" on a command line. Or you can log into your router and look there. Adjust your static settings accordingly. To be thorough, you'll want to use a static IP address which is not in your router's DHCP scope to prevent potential IP address conflicts.
  • Options
    cpartin wrote: »
    The problem is that you're using arbitrary network settings out of a book which don't match up to the actual network which you're bridging to. Since the DHCP option is working, select the obtain IP address automatically option and see what IP / subnet / gateway you get on the server VM. You can look at this by running "ipconfig" on a command line. Or you can log into your router and look there. Adjust your static settings accordingly. To be thorough, you'll want to use a static IP address which is not in your router's DHCP scope to prevent potential IP address conflicts.

*facepalm*
    Sorry for the stupidity of this thread, I shall do that tonight after work.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Got it all working, finally!

Here's what I did, should anyone else at some point in time face similar problems:

Before starting, ensured that the NIC in VMWare was set to Bridged (as helpfully mentioned above)

1. Logged into the router (default IP address was 192.168.0.1) and signed in the with credentials that are set by default
    2. Disabled DHCP on the IP LAN page (I am using the Virgin Media "Superhub" aka the Netgear CG3101D)
    3. Logged into the both the first and second domain controllers and set the IP details on DC1 as follows;

- IP Address: 192.168.0.5
    - Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    - Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    - Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.0.5 (Pointing to itself)
    - Alternate DNS Server :192.168.0.10 (Pointing to domain controller 2)

4. Switched over to DC2 and entered the following for IP address details;

- IP Address: 192.168.0.10
    - Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    - Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    - Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.0.10 (Pointing to itself)
    - Alternate DNS Server :192.168.0.5 (Pointing to domain controller 1)

Hope this helps :)