Options

New Computer Setup

2E1512E151 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Got a brand new desktop in transit as we speak! Liquid cooled AMD X6 1100T, 8GB of DDR3, Radeon 6950 2GB, and nice solid state harddrive for Windows 7 (64-bit). (Extras include TV tuner and a 2TB data hard drive)

It's my first system since I bought my $2300.00 Sager laptop in 2006. Truly the only reason I upgraded was the shipments back and forth from deployments eventually wore on the screen. (Started developing lines)

My question is, what initial steps do you guys typically with your new machines? Set-up tips, best practices, essential programs, ect, ect. I have a work laptop I can use while I transition to my new machine, so I have time to do things properly.

Comments

• Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I don't do a whole lot on my personal PC's as far as initial setup.

What I did do when I started installing SSD's was create this "Check list" of things I do. Some of it may be controversal, but it's what I do on all SSD installs and haven't run into many major issues. (I'm a fan of OCZ Vertex 2's).
    • Install in AHCI mode. (Configured in BIOS). Enables TRIM support
    • Disable Indexing on HD. (Right click drive and uncheck Allow files on this drive…) SSD seek is fast enough that indexing is not needed. Indexing slows down SSD.
    • Turn off Defragmenter Schedule. Uncheck Run on a Schedule when in Defragmenter.
    • Disable Defragmenter Service. Only used with HDD with multi-millisecond latencies.
    • Verify TRIM is active. Cmd -> fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify if it is 0, it’s working as it should. If it is 1, TRIM is disabled. To enable TRIM, Cmd -> fsutil behavior query|set DisableDeleteNotify = 0. TRIM deletes invalid data from drive to improve life span.
    • Update Firmware
    • Optional:
      • Disable System Restore
      • Disable hibernation
      • Disable Superfetch
      • Disable Prefetch
      • Controversial to turn off page file
  • Options
    2E1512E151 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LucasMN wrote: »
    I don't do a whole lot on my personal PC's as far as initial setup.
      • Disable System Restore
      • Disable hibernation
      • Disable Superfetch
      • Disable Prefetch

Why disable these with an SSD?
    • Options
      Ideally those are for a smaller SSD (Talking 30-60, maybe 90GB drives)

System Restore to save space.

Hibernation because I've seen pc's that have issues going into and comming out of it. Usually takes a reboot to get it back to normal. Also since you have 8GB of ram, I think the hibernation file may use up to 8GB of space on the SSD.

You may have to google up on the superfetch and prefetch. I want to say it was because of ram usage.
    • Options
      kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
      depending on who you bought the computer from one of the first things I would do is wipe the OS that came on it and re-install setting the OS up the way I want. Depends on who the manufacture is. HP and DELL usually have bloatware on the computers. Some essentials for software is AV of course, sysinternals tools, slysofts virtual clone drive, imgburn, chrome, and then its steam and dl all my games.
    • Options
      brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
      Once you get the initial OS install done and all drivers and updates done...image it, and keep it. I use Acronis...worth every penny.
    • Options
      SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
      Defrag is auto-disabled by Windows 7 on SSD partitions.
      WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    • Options
      Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
      Is this a pre-built system? Can i ask why you never opted to buy individual parts and build it yourself?
    • Options
      Lee H wrote: »
      Is this a pre-built system? Can i ask why you never opted to buy individual parts and build it yourself?

If it came with a warranty, that may be worth more than the amount he would have saved doing it himself. I've never built a server for this reason alone. Just not worth the hassel and I get free on-site next day repair.
    • Options
      Lee H wrote: »

Extremely common misconception in modern time now. The gap between building one yourself versus buying one is small at best nowadays for low-mid range systems. Equal if you factor in tech support and warranties.

Although I will always recommend building them for those who are capable of doing so, those who aren't..are not necessarily saving tons of money by buying them.
    • Options
      certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
      SteveLord wrote: »
      Extremely common misconception in modern time now. The gap between building one yourself versus buying one is small at best nowadays for low-mid range systems. Equal if you factor in tech support and warranties.

Agreed. Used computers are usually much lower in price than if you build the whole thing. You can also save a bunch upgrading a used system instead of buying new with all the options.
    • Options
      brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
      SteveLord wrote: »

Although I will always recommend building them for those who are capable of doing so, those who aren't..are not necessarily saving tons of money by buying them.
      For me, its never been about the money. It was about having the exact components i want, and the satisfaction of putting it all together. Even though you can save by building your own, its almost worth it to spend more to get exactly what you want.
    • Options
      lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
      brad- wrote: »
      For me, its never been about the money. It was about having the exact components i want, and the satisfaction of putting it all together. Even though you can save by building your own, its almost worth it to spend more to get exactly what you want.

I concur!

I just built a new system recently....RAM is so cheap nowadays...16gb of "gaming" RAM for $140! Most expensive part was the i7-2600k, of course.
    • Options
      KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
      certhelp wrote: »
      ...You can also save a bunch upgrading a used system instead of buying new with all the options.
      Can't say I'd agree with you on that one, especially if an OS upgrade is involved.

kriscamaro68 makes a very valid point - the bloat of unnecessary software apps from the larger OEM manufacturers on a new PC is ridiculous (not even helpful to a novice user).
      LucasMN wrote:
      Hibernation because I've seen pc's that have issues going into and comming out of it. Usually takes a reboot to get it back to normal. Also since you have 8GB of ram, I think the hibernation file may use up to 8GB of space on the SSD.

I would see this as an OS issue and don't think this is SSD specific (it's incredibly annoying).
      There is a utility you can use which allows you to cherry pick what common programs and utilities you can install on your system (the name escapes me right now, I'll try and dig it up).

Enjoy your new toy OP.
    • Options
      Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
      Awesome new PC!! :)
      *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
      *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
      Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    • Options
      KenC wrote: »
      I would see this as an OS issue and don't think this is SSD specific (it's incredibly annoying).

Not too sure about that. It does it on mine as well. OCZ Vertex 3.