Options

Anyone with LCD TV repair experience?

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
My LG 32" decided to die on me a few weeks ago. Only 2 years old. I can't really find a specific answer on how to fix it.

When I turn it on, you can hear the sound and then it turns off about 10 seconds later. I did read online that if you shine a flashlight at the tv you might be able to see an image, i did that and I could see an image. I'm not too familiar with TV's... so, not too sure on what to replace. I'm thinking about taking the back off it and testing all the power supply connecting to make sure everything has enough power.

Anyone else ever ran into this?
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    From what I know about LCD technology in general, it sounds like a backlight. Especially since you can use the flashlight.

HOWEVER,

The sound goes off after 10 seconds? That's kinda scary. Seems like that, coupled with the lack of backlight, could be a power problem.

I know with TV's getting parts might be difficult, I'd be careful to get in too deep on it. Especially with Black Friday around the corner, and it being a 32", it'll be dirt cheap to replace.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've only worked on Visio HDTVs so I don't know how different LG is. Most of the stuff is integrated on 2 boards, the power board and the main board. I can't really tell without doing any tests what your problem might be. It's probably a power supply problem and that would run you over $100 to fix, if that is actually the problem. Like Mattlee said with it being a 32" it may be cheaper to just replace the TV nthan to fix it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The smartest thing I did was buy a 4 year warranty for my 32" Toshiba. This was back in 2008 when my 27" tube's capacitor died. I would have had to spend $100-$150 to get that replaced....thankfully it happened around Black Friday and Newegg (at the time) had an awesome deal. Nowadays, I would totally get my TV from Amazon...especially since I'm a Prime member. :)

But if there's one thing I would definitely advise to anyone is get the 3-4 year warranty. Even if you don't get an extended warranty, try to buy it on a credit card. Your credit card might have it's own extended warranty that will match the manufacturer's warranty up until one year (so if manufacturer warranty was one year, your credit card will give you an additional year after that.)
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for all your replies. We (my fiance and I) were wanting to get a new and bigger TV, so the day the 32" died, we went out and got a bigger one. Since it's just sitting around I thought I might repair it.

At the time when I bought the TV the extended warranty was stupidly expensive - now I regret not getting it.

I might replace the main board and possibly the power supply to see if I can get it going again. But like others have said, since black friday is around the corner, I might just pick another one up on a sale.

The only reason why I am wanting to repair it is because it'll make for a sweet CCNA training monitor :) since all my gear is setup via a console cable, i'll have enough room on my screen to have everything open.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S