Options

Phone with only a data plan + Skype

OverdashOverdash Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, I am looking to see if there is a smartphone + carrier that will supply only a data plan, that way I can save money by just using my Skype number. Has anyone ever done this? I had an HTC ThunderBolt for a work phone but I didn't want to buy it from them because the monthly bill is ridiculous. Thanks, (+REP)

Comments

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    From what I've read....the mobile apps for Skype suck. And...no to the data only plan. Unless you count tablets.

Want to save money? Don't use a smartphone.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    From what I've read....the mobile apps for Skype suck. And...no to the data only plan. Unless you count tablets. Want to save money? Don't use a smartphone.
    That's a great point! Why use a smartphone when a tablet is way more feasible? Android OS here I come! (+REP)
  • Options
    echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115
    Overdash wrote: »
    Hello, I am looking to see if there is a smartphone + carrier that will supply only a data plan, that way I can save money by just using my Skype number. Has anyone ever done this? I had an HTC ThunderBolt for a work phone but I didn't want to buy it from them because the monthly bill is ridiculous. Thanks, (+REP)
    Sprint offers a $40/month data-only plan for smartphones that they market to deaf people. Sprint Relay Store
  • Options
    echo465 wrote: »
    Sprint offers a $40/month data-only plan for smartphones that they market to deaf people. Sprint Relay Store
    Also worth checking out! It would be nice to pay for two year contract up. (+REP)
  • Options
    leeseleese Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Virgin Mobile has a "Beyond Talk" plan with 300 minutes and unlimited data and messaging for $ 35.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    echo465 wrote: »

Whoo hoo! Good thing I can sign up if I want to. Well, not really since I'm an iPhone enthusiastic, and they don't have any plan for the iPhone 4S yet. I'm glad I'm still grandfathered in the old AT&T unlimited Text Accessibility Plan before they implemented the 2GB cap. Loving my 4S with good speed so far.
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You could get a mobile hotspot and use an iPod Touch with the skype app. I have a friend of a friend that does that. If you're in a big city you could even get 4G.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A friend of mine does something similar to this with his iPod touch. I don't think he has a data plan or anything, but wifi is around most places. Maybe pick up a 3g hotspot or something?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Wifi is not everywhere. And when it is available, it is often locked up or it stinks. I wouldn't want have my phone calls rely on that. Especially when you're talking about public wifi. I've had to use the web for important things in more areas where I am far from Wifi than when I am near them.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???