Options

OSPF router ID

QuencyQuency Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a question about OSPF router ID here. Anyone could help me?
Question: What factor determines the OSPF router ID? the highest IP address of any logical interface or physical interface (assmume both interfaces are configured) ? lookback interface is logical interface? subinterface is logical interface? I am confused by these concepts.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    kplabkplab Member Posts: 101
    OSPF chooses the highest IP address among all loopback interfaces as the RID. If no loopback interface is present, the highest IP address among the physical interfaces is chosen.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fipr_c/ipcprt2/1cfospf.htm#wp1001369
    KPLAB
    www.kp-lab.com - Free CCNA, CCNP, and Network+ Study Guides
  • Options
    YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    And don't forget that if for some reason that address is removed OSPF will not forget it without a router reload.

Yankee
  • Options
    NocturnalNocturnal Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You have logical interfaces and hardware interfaces. Hardware is an actual piece of hardware, like a serial interface. Sub-interfaces are logical interfaces. A loopback interface is logical because it doesn't refer to a piece of hardware. A multilink interface is logical. The thing you plug a cable into is hardware...physical. Logical is a software representation. Even though you plug a cable into a serial interface with three logical interfaces, the logical interfaces are defined in software and aren't the actual piece of hardware, so they are logical. That's how I understand it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    "...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right,..."
    --Tom Paine