ICS Android. Check it out guys!

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
androiddevelopers's Channel - YouTube

Live release party

Who watched it? Any thoughts? Looks like Sprint might not get it? icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am kind of confused it seems like only the Prime will get ICS? I was looking at upgrading my phone but I might just wait. Really don't care for the way Android OS and the different carriers handle what phones get which OS.
  • Options
    No the prime isn't going to be the only phone, just the first one. More than likely a few more may be out by christmas.
    I am really waiting on the Transformer II. It maybe the first ICS tablet.

Plus the whole decision on who is getting what and when is a carrier problem, not a google problem. Google could go all apple and force the carriers hands but I don't think that will happen.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/motorola-xoom-tablet-to-get-android-ice-cream-sandwich-update-18-10-2011/
  • Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    I watched the announcement live (via an 'official' stream). Cool device. I think I'd like the screen size (or at least wouldn't mind).

It looks great for Android folk. Isn't going to get me from an iPhone just yet, but I like the direction they went with the "magazine" design styling. I do want to look for some iPhone solutions to do things they showed (canned responses via text when receiving a phone call is awesome).

I'm also still with AT&T, but since they mentioned HSPA+, I guess I'm good? I'd pick one up to play around with, but I don't have an available upgrade until Feb.
  • Options
    I signed up for notifications for the Motorola Razr and the Nexus. I bought my wife the iPhone 4S and I like Apple for a lot of reasons but I have no loyalties. I will have to check out these devices in my hands before I make a decision.
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I signed up for notifications for the Motorola Razr and the Nexus. I bought my wife the iPhone 4S and I like Apple for a lot of reasons but I have no loyalties. I will have to check out these devices in my hands before I make a decision.
    I am much more open to Android and WP7 than I ever have been.

Unfortunately for both of those camps, I:
    don't dislike my iPhone.
    already have ~$200 in app/content purchases.

So if I get one to play with, I'll still keep my iPhone, and in 2-3 weeks it'll probably still be the only device I'll carry. I'll say hopefully for Google, at least they won't leak new smartphone customers (or as many as they were) to Apple with the improvements of ICS.
  • Options
    mattlee09 wrote: »
    I am much more open to Android and WP7 than I ever have been.

Unfortunately for both of those camps, I:
    don't dislike my iPhone.
    already have ~$200 in app/content purchases.

So if I get one to play with, I'll still keep my iPhone, and in 2-3 weeks it'll probably still be the only device I'll carry. I'll say hopefully for Google, at least they won't leak new smartphone customers (or as many as they were) to Apple with the improvements of ICS.

Yeah my wife's car and mine both have built in iphone cables, apps for my iPad and being able to get OS upgrades at the same time is my main pull for Apple. But LTE in my area and some of the bigger screen/thinness of the newer Android devices is pulling me the other way. Doesnt really matter its just a phone but heck I barely use my phone as a phone anyways lol.
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Yeah my wife's car and mine both have built in iphone cables, apps for my iPad and being able to get OS upgrades at the same time is my main pull for Apple. But LTE in my area and some of the bigger screen/thinness of the newer Android devices is pulling me the other way. Doesnt really matter its just a phone but heck I barely use my phone as a phone anyways lol.

Very true.

I'm an hour south of DFW and won't get LTE for another year or so I'm guessing. If I was up in DFW every so often it'd be worth it for sure. I can get HSPA+ though. Also the same on bigger screen and thinness. It's enticing. But I'm just not dissatisfied enough with my iPhone (or at all really). But I think there might be an element of the unknown now - I don't know what I'm missing by sticking so close to my iPhone.

I've considered getting a 3G tablet and dropping the smartphone all together, but I don't want to carry a 7-9" tablet all the time (even though I do anyway, usually). There are just times a 3-4" device always in my pocket works awesome for me (the bathroom). :D
  • Options
    This is also good news for Android:
    https://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=11801

Hopefully this means that ICS will be certified (eventually ) as well. I would much rather have fde than anything else. I wonder if that will come in some sort of service pack or something (since honeycomb could do it, ICS should have the ability to do it as well).
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,036 Admin
    Look like ICS will be (finally) rolled out for a lot of Motorola devices in Q2 and Q3 2012: Motorola Android Software Upgrade News