Options

MSIT in Information Assurance & InfoSec but no experience?

ajparkerajparker Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
First off, let me say hello as I am new to the forum.

I am very interested in landing an entry level job in IA/InfoSec however I currently have no experience in the field. My Background: I graduated in 08 - BS in Computer Info Systems currently working as a Systems Analyst for a company in the healthcare industry. My job duties are more along the line of a Technical Business Analyst and essientially follows the SDLC path from requirements gathering, analysis, overseeing development, integration, testing, deployment etc.

So I am 3 years into my career and after alot of researching and I want to move into InfoSec/IA. I have always been interested in this area and now I am looking for ways to get my foot in the door. I would like to continue to build on the Infosec knowledge that I learned in college and combine them with the skills from my current job. I have been doing some research online and came across the MSIT in Information Assurance and InfoSec program that Capella has and I am seriously considering starting asap but I wanted to get some insight from currently security professionals and wanted some advice. I think that adding this type of degree or maybe certifications might help me get a infosec job that has a focus on HIPAA/ healthcare since I already have extensive knowledge in that area.

The type of job i am looking for in this area that has some of the following duties to name a few similar to this Information Security Business Analyst job req i found Information Security Business Analyst Job in Fort Worth, TX=

Develop information security risk assessment and Systems Security Plans
Oversee the implementation and status of information security controls through the use of vulnerability testing, security audits and accreditation.
Draft and recommend Information Security policies

I guess my questions here is, given that I have no formal working experience in this area would me obtaining a MSIT in Information Assurance/InfoSec help me to obtain a jr type position in this field? Or would my best bet be to start studying and get Cerfified with the Sec+ or SSCP? I am not opposed to starting from the ground up at all. Just looking for some advice.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    FirecellFirecell Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ajparker wrote: »

I have been doing some research online and came across the MSIT in Information Assurance and InfoSec program that Capella has and I am seriously considering starting asap but I wanted to get some insight from currently security professionals and wanted some advice.

I would advise against attending Capella University. There are numerous other online universities with similar graduate degrees, which I would pursue first. Capella is typically grouped with University of Phoenix and is often discriminated against by employers. Capella University is also expensive and you could afford more prominent universities with more name recognition and a higher quality education.

I would suggest researching universities with a brick and mortar campus and online options.

Listed below is an online degree forum, where you can read additional opinions.

DegreeInfo Distance Learning - online degree forum
  • Options
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Here is another one, and rather reasonably priced as well:

Information Assurance (MS) | Davenport University
  • Options
    I appreciate the advice...def going to take a Look at the links as I am looking for an online degree programEven though Capella has NSA designation it still has a bad rep?Any thoughts on certs?
  • Options
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm actually in Davenports MSIA program and I actually like it.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    qwertyiop wrote: »

Can you share more info on Daveport? Perhaps in another thread as to not threadjack. I tried PM but it says you have it disabled.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    qwertyiop wrote: »

Are you taking it the degree program online? I'm taking classes on the physical campus (in class right now). I hope to apply for the program next year. Can you share your experience with the program?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Can you share more info on Daveport? Perhaps in another thread as to not threadjack. I tried PM but it says you have it disabled.

Cyberguypr,

Feel free to PM me now
  • Options
    Are you taking it the degree program online? I'm taking classes on the physical campus (in class right now). I hope to apply for the program next year. Can you share your experience with the program?

Yes I am taking it online, I started January of 2011 and plan on graduating this upcoming April.

So far its been a great experience. I just completed my Advanced Computer Forensics course and part of it involves setting up a forensics lab using a linux based distro and I can't believe it or not but all the students in my class but 2 of us were able to complete that and the corresponding assignments. I think it took me about 30 minutes to download and compile the applications needed. Thats where my classmates choked, they didn't have exposure to linux. It got to the point where my professor had to extend the due date since the majority of the class was stuck on it. Linux is a must in the INFOSEC field.

All of the classes are slightly different but generally you have weekly reading assignments, a weekly exercise, answer the 2 discussion questions and respond to atleast 2 posts on 5 separate days.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't believe you need the MS to break into the security field (unless you are looking into government jobs). If you combine your experience with the MS I believe you shouldn't have an issue in getting a security position. I've had friends with computer science backgrounds go for masters in information assurance and get jobs with no experience, so it is possible. Fact is you have 3 years of experience and a degree, I'd add some certs and start applying for open security positions. A lot of postings I see look for general IT experience as much as security experience. The forensic position I interviewed for today (it is entry level), they really liked my job experience most of all. Need that foundation in a technology before you can secure it, no real way around that. Good luck, you will be fine!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    As for going for a Master degree in InfoSec without experience in InfoSec, I think it's perfectly fine and it is a great step to help you get a good InfoSec job. You have experience in IT, and you will continue working while studying so it's a good deal.

As for Universities, a friend of mine recommended this program: (Carnegie Mellon University)
    MSIT Distance Track : Carnegie Mellon University's Heinz College
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    +1 rep for the forum link, thank you :)
    Firecell wrote: »
    I would advise against attending Capella University. There are numerous other online universities with similar graduate degrees, which I would pursue first. Capella is typically grouped with University of Phoenix and is often discriminated against by employers. Capella University is also expensive and you could afford more prominent universities with more name recognition and a higher quality education.

I would suggest researching universities with a brick and mortar campus and online options.

Listed below is an online degree forum, where you can read additional opinions.

DegreeInfo Distance Learning - online degree forum

• Options
    Thanks, I really appreciate the advice...a gov job is my future goal but I am def going to look for open security positions along the way...its not to entry level many security positions here in Orlando but I'm keeping my eyes open....thanks again!
  • Options
    Anyone heard any good things about UMUC and the dual program they have in IA and cybersecurity policy?..it also has NSA designation
  • Options
    jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    As for going for a Master degree in InfoSec without experience in InfoSec, I think it's perfectly fine and it is a great step to help you get a good InfoSec job. You have experience in IT, and you will continue working while studying so it's a good deal.

As for Universities, a friend of mine recommended this program: (Carnegie Mellon University)
    MSIT Distance Track : Carnegie Mellon University's Heinz College

Over 120 credits/units for a graduate program (140 to be exact) ...that is absurd. As much as I love gaining knowledge, I think this is just too much.
    It's like another bachelors.
  • Options
    140 credits that's a lot! I never read the curriculum properly. I have no idea why it's like that, maybe if someone has experience with this university can tell us why ?
    joneno wrote: »
    Over 120 credits/units for a graduate program (140 to be exact) ...that is absurd. As much as I love gaining knowledge, I think this is just too much.

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571

Wow...that is literally a 4+ year full time program!
  • Options
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Wow...that is literally a 4+ year full time program!

May be its the #1 rating or they just want to be different.
  • Options
    May be its the #1 rating or they just want to be different.

I Googled the ranking: #23 nation wide (correct me if I'm wrong)

Carnegie Mellon University | Best College | US News

What do you think guys ? is it worth it ?

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I Googled the ranking: #23 nation wide (correct me if I'm wrong)

Carnegie Mellon University | Best College | US News

What do you think guys ? is it worth it ?

The factors to consider include cost, # of courses, name recognition and quality of education, in no particular order.
  • Options
    you're correct, i was mislead by the claim on the school's website.