Options

Registered for the exam

jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
I registered yesterday for the exam on December 4th. That seems like an eternity away, but I know it's going to be here soon.

I've read through the All-In-One 5th edition and Eric Conrad's CISSP Study guide. I've taken a few practice tests, and identified a couple of areas I'm not as knowledgeable in (physical security & application security), and am working on them.

Do any of you that have taken the test have any strategies, or other recommended materials for making the most of these last 6 weeks before the exam?
"Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Here's a great article JDMurray posted on the Techexams blog:
    The CISSP Certification Experience: My Study Plan | TechExams.net Blogs

Commander Jenson had a great one as well:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/isc-sscp-cissp/68959-how-i-passed-cissp.html

There are tons of other amazing strategies floating across the board but these are the two I had bookmarked post formatting lol.

My strategy was as follows:

Materials:
    • Shon Harris 5th Edition AIO
    • Official CBK
    • Eleventh Hour by Conrad
    • StudyIScope Questions (3 exam set)
    • Ccure.org Paid Membership
    • Carnegie Mellon VTE CERT videos
    Method:
    • Started with Shon Harris at domain 10 and worked backwards; read chapter, took notes, answered end chapter questions.
    • Watched VTE CERT video on the domain.
    • Cross referenced domain in Official CBK for any material I didn't understand.
    • Did 50 questions on the domain on Pro setting from CCure.org
    • Rinsed and repeated until I hit Domain #1. Once that was done, I reviewed the domains in the correct order.
    • During the last two weeks before the exam, I took the StudyIScope exams once and went back over my notes and read up on anything I was still having trouble remembering.
    My target was 5 days per domain (reading wise) but some were shorter than others as I had experienced a lot of the content of those domains in some of my previous jobs. I am awaiting my results so we'll see how well this strategy worked out.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback - I've started re-visiting the domains I'm sketchy on. My local library had a copy of 11th Hour that I checked out, and will start on shortly.

My employer gave me approval to expense any training materials, so I might look into some videos/nuggets as well.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    Got my entry letter from ISC2 a couple of days ago. I'm really pumped for this test. I feel great about the material, and am looking forward to the experience.
  • Options
    certheadcerthead Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I may get shot for saying this, but if you passed the CCNA, you'll pass the CISSP assuming you put the same amount of time and effort into both certifications.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forum certhead. I don't think anyone is going to shoot you, especially if you're providing positive support and input to help others.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
  • Options
    Today was the day. Out of 250 questions, there were maybe a half dozen that I had no clue and just guessed. There were about 60% where I felt there was no question about what was right, and the rest, it was a situation where there were a couple "right" answers, and a matter of choosing the "best" answer.

Overall, I feel good about this. It could go either way, I guess, but I really think I've got a pass coming my way.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jmritenour wrote: »
    Today was the day. Out of 250 questions, there were maybe a half dozen that I had no clue and just guessed. There were about 60% where I felt there was no question about what was right, and the rest, it was a situation where there were a couple "right" answers, and a matter of choosing the "best" answer.

Overall, I feel good about this. It could go either way, I guess, but I really think I've got a pass coming my way.

Good luck man! The biggest killer of them all is the wait, which unfortunately will eventually take its toll on you lol. Have faith and keep your mind on other things and the results will be in before you know it.
  • Options
    You know, I realize it's only the day after, but at this point I am in no hurry at all for the results. I'm finally able to start focusing on VCP5, plus school, family, and all the madness of the holidays swirling around, the CISSP results aren't even on my radar right now. Of course, that could change depending on how long it takes.
  • Options
    Yeah, so that calm "I'm in no hurry" attitude fell apart in the past week or so. To be fair, it was more stressful when people who knew I had taken the exam would ask me if I got my results, and that would remind me that I hadn't got them yet.

But the way is over, I got my results today, and I passed!

I'm glad that's over with - good luck to all of you out there who are preparing for this exam.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jmritenour wrote: »
    Yeah, so that calm "I'm in no hurry" attitude fell apart in the past week or so. To be fair, it was more stressful when people who knew I had taken the exam would ask me if I got my results, and that would remind me that I hadn't got them yet.

But the way is over, I got my results today, and I passed!

I'm glad that's over with - good luck to all of you out there who are preparing for this exam.

Congrats and rep!! Make sure you update your cert list for the whole world to see!!!!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    Pinky&TheBrainPinky&TheBrain Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass... I thought the testing blocks were larger than 3 weeks. After your post yesterday I almost thought we would have been in the same test group. Since you got your results and I haven't gotten mine I guess at least I can assume I can see results within the next 13 days. Congrats again.
  • Options
    skvskv Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!
  • Options
    jaayw1jaayw1 Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I am still in waiting mode.