Options

Preparation for CCIE

Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
Ok so I know this topic has probably seen its share of dead horses but bare with me. I, like a lot of people in the CCNP area, want to go on to get my CCIE. I had originally had the idea that maybe I should go through the CCIP cert track as additional preparation for the CCIE. Those of you who have either completed your IE or are working on it now, would it be a benefit for me to go through the CCIP track before CCIE? I promised my wife that I would not start my CCIE studies until our youngest (4 months) is 3, so I have some time. I am just torn between the CCIP (because I have this weird love for BGP), and the CCDA/CCDP. Granted I could pull them both off but I hate to spend too much time on something that really does not help me in the grand scheme of things.

Can anyone please shed some light on my uncertainties?
Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Comments

• Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    The CCIP will help. It goes over BGP, MPLS and QoS, all of which are tested quite heavily on the CCIE R&S. I'm still in the studying written stage, but going over the blueprint for it, I've already covered everything in the BGP, MPLS and QoS sections, its merely going to be a review for me.

I chose to do the CCIP partly due to preparation for the IE, and also due to limited funds at the time to commit to buying lab guides and the like. I feel I made the right choice with it as now BGP, MPLS and QoS are the opposite of dark arts, they actually look like the best parts of the exam.

CCDA and DP will probably add another side to you, but I don't think it will help directly to the CCIE. You may learn certain best practices and the like, but as you may have seen, some of the IE is so far from best practices its scary. However, they will help you in your career I expect if you are wanting to head into an architect/design role or anything similar in the future. It's something I may look into once I have the IE down and out the way, but we shall see.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Pretty much echoing what Stuh84 mentioned, the CCIP could only help due to the material being covered in the CCIE. Most people that I have talked to really enjoy the CCIP track as well, I know I have so far.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Panzer919 wrote: »
    Ok so I know this topic has probably seen its share of dead horses but bare with me. I, like a lot of people in the CCNP area, want to go on to get my CCIE. I had originally had the idea that maybe I should go through the CCIP cert track as additional preparation for the CCIE. Those of you who have either completed your IE or are working on it now, would it be a benefit for me to go through the CCIP track before CCIE? I promised my wife that I would not start my CCIE studies until our youngest (4 months) is 3, so I have some time. I am just torn between the CCIP (because I have this weird love for BGP), and the CCDA/CCDP. Granted I could pull them both off but I hate to spend too much time on something that really does not help me in the grand scheme of things.

Can anyone please shed some light on my uncertainties?

We given you wont be starting CCIE prep until your youngest is 3 years of age you have plenty of time to do both if you wish to.