Options

How to use a CCIE home lab to make money?

ghost2qghost2q Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Building a home lab costs a good amount of money. Is there anything that someone can do with it to make money besides using it to study? Like for business?

Comments

• Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    rent it out for others to use but then you might not be able to use it when you want to

If you are just starting out (like a lot of us) ,start off with a small amount of hardware and gradually build it up.
    You don't need a CCIE class lab for ccent/ccna or even ccnp.

Rather than spending thousands, spend $250 to 300 (or use gsn3 - read the ccie threads to see how many people are using it for their ccie studies + a few switches) and get hardware for your lab for ccna and ccnp. Say 3x 1721's and 2 -3 x2950's and 1x3550.

Or get a decent pc that can handle gsn3 ,then if you don't continue with your cisco studies you can still use it for gaming or development.

Also you are supposed to go out and get real experience between before the ccie.

Is it even possible to get a CCIE (properly) without having real experience ?
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    alxx wrote: »

Is it even possible to get a CCIE (properly) without having real experience ?

It might be possible, but what's the point?

it would be a 'paper cert' and you would be useless in the real world
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • Options
    SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
    rakem wrote: »
    It might be possible, but what's the point?

it would be a 'paper cert' and you would be useless in the real world

I would have to disagree,

I do not work directly with any networking equipment, but the equipment and solutions i support that link into networks. For the lat 11 years i have supported the analysts and field technicians in the field. The amount of time i end up onsite because something does not work. I then meet the so called IT network professional who then proceeds to give me the DO YOU who i am statement.(normally accompanies a large t-shirt to advertize i am IT, or a pony tail in his hair ;)
    I then fix the issue while explaining to the Admin, how there network is working and how an application or something else is interacting with it.
    The next hurdle for people like like me is if i seek a job there, i am instantly informed that now way if you start here i will be out of a job.
    The second issue the pay cut if i can find somewhere to get a start.(never happens they are always worried about there jobs)

I personally study Cisco for the sheer pleasure i get out of it.
    Yes i agree there may be some things learned only in the field like all jobs, but paper waste of time ??? i don't think so.
    That is only small minded people with no idea of what it take to achieve it qualification. They don't want to hire without the experience.
    What about there previous knowledge and experience and the most important thing of all, are they motivated\driven, can they\ do they, want to learn.

Just my two cents, i spend around 40 to 60 hours a week studying, have done so for the last 11 years, some may say its a waste.
    Unless you consider going onsite, to the so called IT Pro and all his experience, showing him why and how his network is not working ;) amusing at some level. ;)
  • Options
    johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    I use my pix515e and a WAP to become the neighboorhood ISP. Just break off some vlans on the pix and the WAP, setup some bandwidth policing and viloa, $20 per month and everyone is happy!
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Another thing you could do while you're working your way towards the CCIE is consulting work. With a lab like that, you'll probably be in a pretty good position to do proof-of-concept setups to show that a solution you're offering is going to work in a production environment. (This will also be good experience towards your CCIE.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.