Options

Windows 7 and Drivers for (Dell) Intel PRO/1000 ET VT Quad Port NIC

certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
I have been buying a few Quad Port NICs (all intel controller driven but Dell branded). I have installed one PCIe x4 card (Dell P/N: 0HM9JY) a week ago -- Intel PROSet drivers recognized the driver as Intel PRO ET Quad Port and the Intel driver installer succussfully installed the drivers.

An hour ago, I got another PCIe x4 card (Dell P/N: YT674) and replaced the previous card in the system with the new one. However, Windows 7 (64bit SP1) couldn't install drivers -- warning icons in Device Manager. I tried the Dell drivers which didn't like the OS (incompatible) or needed the Intel drivers removed. Even after removing drivers from Intel and installing the drivers from Dell, the device manager still showed warning icons.

Then, I manually installed drivers using update drivers menu. I picked two different drivers "Intel PRO/1000 VT" and "Intel PRO/1000 ET". Windows complained but the drivers are installed and the ports are working with both the drivers. I even see the PROSet options/tabs on the driver properties page. In fact, I can mix the two drivers for the ports.

So, what is happening? Why is the driver installer not able to install the driver successfully for the card. Does anyone have these cards? What Intel server adapters do these Dell branded cards map to on Intel -- Intel PRO 1000 ET, PT, VT? There is only one set of driver installer/download from intel for the PRO drivers. The ports are named after whatever driver I manually pic -- Intel PRO Quad Port ET, etc.

I haven't replaced the newer card with older card or installed the older card in another PCIe slot yet. May be I have to install the drivers manually after adding/replacing the card even though the drivers recognized the previous card.

Comments

• Options
    nyITguynyITguy Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    certhelp wrote: »
    An hour ago, I got another PCIe x4 card (Dell P/N: YT674) and replaced the previous card in the system with the new one. However, Windows 7 (64bit SP1) couldn't install drivers -- warning icons in Device Manager. I tried the Dell drivers which didn't like the OS (incompatible) or needed the Intel drivers removed. Even after removing drivers from Intel and installing the drivers from Dell, the device manager still showed warning icons.

Then, I manually installed drivers using update drivers menu. I picked two different drivers "Intel PRO/1000 VT" and "Intel PRO/1000 ET". Windows complained but the drivers are installed and the ports are working with both the drivers. I even see the PROSet options/tabs on the driver properties page. In fact, I can mix the two drivers for the ports.

So, what is happening? Why is the driver installer not able to install the driver successfully for the card. Does anyone have these cards? What Intel server adapters do these Dell branded cards map to on Intel -- Intel PRO 1000 ET, PT, VT? There is only one set of driver installer/download from intel for the PRO drivers. The ports are named after whatever driver I manually pic -- Intel PRO Quad Port ET, etc.

According to my research, the Dell YT674 is an Intel Pro/1000 VT. Were you able to get the card running? What drivers did you ultimately settle on? These are available at very good prices on eBay and would like to pick up a few but I'm not sure about getting them running on an HP Proliant server... Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Greg
  • Options
    certhelpcerthelp Member Posts: 191
    nyITguy wrote: »
    According to my research, the Dell YT674 is an Intel Pro/1000 VT. Were you able to get the card running? What drivers did you ultimately settle on? These are available at very good prices on eBay and would like to pick up a few but I'm not sure about getting them running on an HP Proliant server... Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

nyITGuy,
    Your lucky day. I happen to be online today after a long hiatus. For some reason, I clicked on my previous posts link on my profile. icon_smile.gif

I have installed and used the card. I tried the manual install of the drivers method to get the drivers working. I can choose either VT or ET drivers. It (windows 7) doesn't seem to care. I tried the same card under VMware ESXi (already installed before getting the cards) box. It picked up the new card and installed the drivers and displays them as Intel Corp 82575GB and 82576 cards.

They should run fine on HP Proliants. I have seen like only 100 mentions of the combination on my research. Just search online for HP Proliant Intel PRO/1000 VT ET. Hopefully you have enough PCIe slots lets for the upgrades. These cards are only x4 PCIe if I remember correctly. The above screen shot is from my ESXi host running on HP xw6400 workstation.

Also, Windows 7 was not installing drivers for YT674 because it was not in the drivers list of windows. This is a dell variant but not any different (i seriously doubt if it is any different at all) from the other VT cards I have. Of course, I also searched on Dell support site and could install the latest Dell provided drivers (there are different versions). But the drivers and installation was just like Intel's PRO Set drivers -- just that they were specific to this card. One difference is that iSCSI boot is enabled by default on this card. You can skip at boot time. These drivers install and recognize the card automatically.

What Proliant is it? Does it have any regular PCI-X or PCI slots? I have an extra Quad port PCI-X card (Intel PRO/1000 MT Server Adapter).
  • Options
    balboa41balboa41 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Driver Details | Dell United States

-Download the driver
    -Use Winrar to uncompress files (setup will not work on Server 2012)
    -Use Computer Management to install drivers
  • Options
    nathan4565nathan4565 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can not seem to get drivers installed can anyone help me i have windows 7
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    balboa41 wrote: »

-Download the driver

Worked fine on Win 7 64bit! thanks
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    xercusxercus Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It actually works great even on Windows Server 2012R2.
    I just tested it and no troubles at all as long as you use the method described ... UnRAR and use Computer Manager/Device Manager, point to the folder and run...

Thanks, the first tip that worked for my YT674.
  • Options
    turkinaturkina Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    balboa41 wrote: »

-Download the driver

Anyone have a new link to this driver bundle? The link no longer works. :P
  • Options
    nilsonnilson Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Drivers from Dell web site worked perfectly on Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4 x64. Right click on each of your 4 network adapters and follow the update driver wizard pointing directory with extracted files from Dell site. Network adapters performing as expected after installation. Forget about official drivers from Intel web site.
  • Options
    JPB6JPB6 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,
    Not possible to install this adapter with windows7 64 bit. Not working with dell setup. Intel drivers for windows 2008 server only (don't work) icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    JPB6JPB6 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Finally, just need to extract files from .exe icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    MarkTMarkT Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This thread has been very helpful. Windows Server 2016 couldn't detect the driver for this card and I couldn't find it online. I tried the Intel Generic Driver without success. After reading this thread, I tried to install the driver manually from the Device Manager and Selected Network Adapters > Intel Corporation > Intel(R) Gigabit VT Quad Port Server Adapter and the driver installed just fine after the Update Driver warning popup. :)