Options

Should I Stay or Should I go Now?

Brownie1985Brownie1985 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys

I am between a rock and a hard place at the moment. We have the nasty prospect of being outsourced where I currently am in the UK. I have a feeling it will happen but may not for a year or so. It would seem that we would not get made redundant which I was hoping for, 8 years there nearly and the redundancy package would have been very good on offer.

This means we will be transfered accross to the company taking us over. Only thing I am worried about it if they were to get rid of us after we have carried out our migration work to their network/systems/servers etc, we would end up with nothing pretty much. I am looking to buy my first house next year and this all seems to be hanging over at the wrong time, along with how jobs are in the UK at the mo.

The company that would be taking us on is a very large it supplier, so could it be worth to see what happens? I don't have a clue though as where I am currently is the only place I have ever worked bar college jobs I am a Civil Servant so never thought of leaving till now. I have typed up a rough CV, if I was to leave what sort of jobs I should be aiming at and I guess UK salary? I have only included what I am completely comfortable with. We tend to get involed with alot of different technology network/servers/os's around infrastructure, although I have been told it can be one thing or another with companies now? No jack of all trades anymore? I am still trying to get some certs done I should ave a while ago but is just a bit hard currently with this hanging over.

Any advise or open opinions would be great, thank you
Next Targets:
70-294
CCENT

Comments

• Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    Sounds like you become too comfortable ;)

Think of it as a good opportunity to better yourself and get a better job!

There are lots of system jobs out there that pay pretty well
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It sounds like a good opportunity to re-evaluate where you want your life to go. Personally, eight years seems like a long time to be somewhere in IT (obviously there are exceptions, like consulting); I would think you would have started stagnating a few years ago.

I'd certainly get that MCSE finished and even update it to MCITP EA. For your years of experience, that is almost a necessity to get your CV past the bin.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    ... Only thing I am worried about it if they were to get rid of us after we have carried out our migration work to their network/systems/servers etc...

The company that would be taking us on is a very large it supplier, so could it be worth to see what happens? ....

if I was to leave what sort of jobs I should be aiming at and I guess UK salary?.....

I understand your anxiety, because no one really knows what's gonna happen. I think It's a good idea to postpone buying the house after you secure your career. If it's a big company that's taking over, then there's a good chance that they might retain the employees. Do you have options other than the UK ?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hi Guys

I am between a rock and a hard place at the moment. We have the nasty prospect of being outsourced where I currently am in the UK. I have a feeling it will happen but may not for a year or so. It would seem that we would not get made redundant which I was hoping for, 8 years there nearly and the redundancy package would have been very good on offer.

This means we will be transfered accross to the company taking us over. Only thing I am worried about it if they were to get rid of us after we have carried out our migration work to their network/systems/servers etc, we would end up with nothing pretty much. I am looking to buy my first house next year and this all seems to be hanging over at the wrong time, along with how jobs are in the UK at the mo.

The company that would be taking us on is a very large it supplier, so could it be worth to see what happens? I don't have a clue though as where I am currently is the only place I have ever worked bar college jobs I am a Civil Servant so never thought of leaving till now. I have typed up a rough CV, if I was to leave what sort of jobs I should be aiming at and I guess UK salary? I have only included what I am completely comfortable with. We tend to get involed with alot of different technology network/servers/os's around infrastructure, although I have been told it can be one thing or another with companies now? No jack of all trades anymore? I am still trying to get some certs done I should ave a while ago but is just a bit hard currently with this hanging over.

Any advise or open opinions would be great, thank you

I think at 32 prospective redundancy payments should be furthest from your mind. As you have seen companies do their best to find ways to avoid paying it. Try and get heavily involved in the migration planning. Its good experience and you may get picked up by the company you are outsoucing to. Failing that its good experience to sell on to the market if you get the axe. People who are experienced with migration and integration work are in demand and it could lead to a lever into project management. You need to have an honest discussion with your employer about your prospects.
  • Options
    Brownie1985Brownie1985 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply guys, I do know have been too comfortable within where I am working now, it is 10mins away for where I live currently with no travel costs basically. Reckon I have a year left or so, so hopefully in that time I could at least get my MCSA + CCNA sorted then get my MCSA upgraded before taking either any further to back up my experience. The company taking us over would be IBM and that is why I am debaiting staying put. I know at a point we will all be transfered over, and maybe if they did let some of us go after a time that could still be handy on a CV. But if they kept us I guess working for a company of that stature there is room for progression, who knows. I am happy either way what happens, just wish it would hurry up and happen to move on lol!

Thanks for the replies anyway is always nice to hear peoples honest opinions to give me some idea.
    Next Targets:
    70-294
    CCENT