Options

Anybody know of any good call blocking software/modem combos?

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
I get loads of creditor calls on a daily basis that are looking for someone that doesn't live at my house. Does anybody know of any good call blocking software/modem combos? I have a usb modem laying around but unfortunately it's not compatible with most software.

Comments

• Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Instead of blocking them, tell them that no one by that name lives at your house/number. Document the name of the person calling, time and date you told them to stop. If they keep calling, send a letter to the collection agency stating you have informed them on multiple occasions that the person they are looking for does not live there, and if they keep calling you will take legal action against them. I had a situation where a collection agency was calling for someone as the same name as my wife. They were really rude/aggressive and after a few calls (and us telling them it was the wrong person) I demanded to speak to a supervisor. At first the agent refused, but I wouldn't give up. Finally he did and I let her know they had the wrong person and I was going to be taking action against their company. I filed official complaints with the Federal Trade Commission, my states attorney generals office and the company's state attorney generals office. All of that was done online. I then sent a letter to the president of the collection agency letting them know what happened, and with whom I had filed complaints. I got a nice apology letter from him, and no further calls.

Or you could just change your number and make it unlisted.

The problem with blocking the number is more often, those collection agencies have a trunk line so you won't know "what" number it is they dial from (only reason I figured it out was they kept using the same area code).
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have tried that route although I haven't gone as far as filing official complaints. The issue with going that route is that the individual that they are looking for (a relative of mine) appears to owe a lot of people money so it would take a lot of time to deal with all of those creditors. I was planning to setup a white list allowing only numbers that I know to get though. I wouldn't have had this issue had TWC not placed my last name in the phone book like I told them.