Options

What path to take

Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
Dear techies,

I don't know but in these times I have been very undecided on what path I would like to take. I have been working in the I.t field for about 4 years now... Since I was 17. I have liked more off the networking side of this field I am currently finishing up my last 2 courses for the mcitp server admin. I have obtained my ccna and plan on focusing on that after Microsoft since I really am not attracted towards Microsoft at all. My dilemma is that I am the type of person that likes to know about everything and likes learning new things all the time.

I did an HTML course back in high school and don't mean to brag but I was pretty good at it and seem to be pretty good at most of the things i set myself to learn. I have noticed that in this field you have to be specialized in something ... Example : Cisco or Microsoft or VMware to be really good at something and bring in the $$.... For the past months me and a friend have wanted to do a website because we believe the idea is a good one. Only problem is we don't know anything of web design or programming. Neither do we know anyone. I have recently been looking into it and wanted to just after this Microsoft semester start learning myself about HTML and php and MySQL to tackle this idea myself.

Not only will this back me up on getting my bachelors because I'd be taking some web development classes at my college but also it be taking away from me getting back on the Cisco / networking path.

Is this a bad thing? Am I too undecided or is this not a bad thing at all and do you guys think it's an overall good thing to do? It's worth saying I've only taken visual basic and didn't really like it.... Again I had other classes to concentrate on....

Your opinions are more than welcomed.

Thanks