Options

Have you ever mentioned being a part of the Techexams community?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am just sitting here taking a break from this exciting PMP material and was thinking have you all ever had the opportunity to bring up the forum in an interview or at your current job?

I have led many of people to this site to help them with their journey. I have also mentioned it in job interviews. It hasn't hurt me personally, in fact it may of helped. I just was wondering how/if you would consider leveraging this forum for you own personal gain in the real world and if so how.

Being apart of a community like this really does make you a better person if you allow it too.

Comments

• Options
    Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ive mentioned it to some fellow students in my classes as a great tech resource but i dont think any of them have actually signed up.
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
    Completed: CUV1 CTV1
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Mentioned it to a few people on other forums. Mentioned it to a coworker who is just starting in IT.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've mentioned it to my old CIS instructor, who seems to be pointing his students towards joining. I've also had the chance to talk up TechExams during one of my recent phone-interviews for a job, when asked what I was doing to 'fill the hours' outside of taking classes while I wasn't working. Oddly enough, that manager stopped asking technical questions after I told him I was a moderator for the Windows forum, and went straight into asking about salary requirements. I guess it pays to be part of a community known for weeding out the cheaters and fakers. icon_thumright.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    ConradJConradJ Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I too tried to mention it to people that were in school with me. I think it's a real measure of people in the industry.
    I honestly think that maybe two or three of the 18 in my class were true IT people, the rest were there to get a quick buck because they assume they're going to leave school and have a high-flying job straight off the bat. The majority now work in a call centre for a local ISP.
    The ones who really care about the product, care about their career, and love the industry as a whole sign up here. The rest don't/won't.
    And that's the way I like it. It secures the good positions for the likes of us.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes I actually mentioned being on this website on a number of my interviews as being active in my certification persuit and learning about latest trends in IT
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have pointed 4 or 5 people here. I know of only 2 that actually came and both did a couple posts and then never came back. Typically its for people that start asking me Cisco questions.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I don't think I'd ever mention it in an interview. I've achieved a strange balance of appearing "normal" while still displaying great technical abilities, that makes me desirable. I think if I started rambling about a forum during an interview, it'd tip me towards appearing too much like a weird uber geek that may make me less desirable. :p

I have however mentioned it to at least 1 person that I work with that was looking for some advice.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've pointed a few co-workers here as well as my student mentor for WGU. Only one person I know that is a regular on here and that's only in the WGU thread.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    anobomskianobomski Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i mentioned the forum to a vendor at ipexpo in London last week. i told them i found out about their product on this forum
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ConradJ wrote: »
    I too tried to mention it to people that were in school with me. I think it's a real measure of people in the industry.
    I honestly think that maybe two or three of the 18 in my class were true IT people, the rest were there to get a quick buck because they assume they're going to leave school and have a high-flying job straight off the bat. The majority now work in a call centre for a local ISP.
    The ones who really care about the product, care about their career, and love the industry as a whole sign up here. The rest don't/won't.
    And that's the way I like it. It secures the good positions for the likes of us.

The students from you school, sound alot like the ones from mine. I still remember getting the A+, and my teacher was floored. I guess not that many students get the A+ certification. He pointed to one guy and said “He’s been here for 4-5 years getting his BA, and he doesn’t have one certification yet”.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The students from you school, sound alot like the ones from mine. I still remember getting the A+, and my teacher was floored. I guess not that many students get the A+ certification. He pointed to one guy and said “He’s been here for 4-5 years getting his BA, and he doesn’t have one certification yet”.

I took a software and hardware support class at the community college and I think I was the only one in the class training for A+. Everyone else was focused heavily on networking and programming. It was a filler course in their minds IMO
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Everyone wrote: »
    I think if I started rambling about a forum during an interview, it'd tip me towards appearing too much like a weird uber geek that may make me less desirable. :p

HAHA! Never let them know up front who you really are. My mantra.