Options

Iphone4s vs Samsung Galaxy S™ ll, Epic™ 4G Touch

NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
Im thinking of buying a new phone. Im torn between the two.

Pros: Iphone has been reliable and have that sense of simple/sophisticated.
Cons:
I have to wait for 16gb since its sold out
Apple is filtering the apps and its usually not free UNLESS [Removed...]

Pros: Samsung durable. I saw a drop test and it beat Iphone.
Usually free apps
No apple filtering
I saw some root tutorial
Lots of Pen testing apps and that should keep my busy while im using the phone

Cons:
I have friends that have android and all of their phones have problems.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    While I have used the iphone for the past 3 years I do like the andriod phoens as I feel like I have more control over my phone. With IOS it seems very limited. I do however have a 4s right now and it is nice. I also have an HTC evo 4g that is not used as a cell phone. I dont think I would buy an andriod phone till ICS comes out cause gingerbread is pretty out of date. I had to get a phone right away as my wife needed a smartphone for work so i gave her my iphone 4 and got the 4s for now. If you want a 4s then go to apple.com/retail and put a phone on hold. I was able to do that and get it the next day.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I currently use an iPhone 4 and plan on upgrading to the 4S model next month pending my upgrade eligibility. I like Android phones overall they are impressive but I prefer iOS due to developer support for games and certain apps such as Epic Games with Infinity Blade as an example.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    Im thinking of buying a new phone. Im torn between the two.

Pros: Iphone has been reliable and have that sense of simple/sophisticated.
    Cons:
    I have to wait for 16gb since its sold out
    Apple is filtering the apps and its usually not free UNLESS [Removed...]

Pros: Samsung durable. I saw a drop test and it beat Iphone.
    Usually free apps
    No apple filtering
    I saw some root tutorial
    Lots of Pen testing apps and that should keep my busy while im using the phone

Cons:
    I have friends that have android and all of their phones have problems.

What do you guys think?

I am actually debating this as well too. For me, it's pretty much Iphone 4s vs Samsung Galaxy S2.

I have played around with both extensively and I am leaning towards the Galaxy, as you are able to do much more on it, customization and tinkering wise. Apple, of course, locks down their devices and limits what you can do.

I guess it basically comes down to --- do you want a phone that just works, but you are limited in what you can do with it, or do you want a phone that still works, but you have to put some work into it and have the ability to screw around with it.

I am a bit concerned with security at the moment -- I don't believe any phone is truly safe, but I understand that the Iphone has a sort of sandbox environment that apps run in? I think the galaxy may be a bit more of a security risk, but, then again, it depends on the user and what they do, yes?

Anyone else have thoughts on this?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I haven't experienced Samsung's Android offerings. I had an old Samsung flip phone a long time ago (before phones even had color screens), and loved it. I had a Samsung Omnia (Windows Mobile 6.5) and it was OK. Good phone, good camera, bad for texting or browsing or anything that really required use of the touch screen. More to do with Windows Mobile 6.5 than anything I'd say.

I have a Motorola Droid X and love it now. Of everyone I know, and it doesn't matter if they have an iPhone or Android phone, the only ones that ever have problems with either, are the ones that feel they have to "root" it. They create their own problems. The ones that don't, never have any issues.

Sometimes I wish I could afford to get the latest and greatest phones when they come out. Then I think it'd just be a waste of money even if I could afford it. I've owned cell phones since the mid 90's, and I'm only on my 6th phone. All but 1 I replaced when physical damage has rendered them inoperable. The one that still worked when I replaced it, I only replaced because not only did I get a free upgrade, but I got a $100 gift card for upgrading.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    this may make the deal for you ... seeing as your a cisco guy

http://www.amazon.com/Redpark-Serial-Cisco-Console-iPhone/dp/B005F0QITC

i
    have yet to find a droid cable

App Store - Get Console
    app to go with it
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
    I have stuck with iPhones so far, and I'll give a few reasons why.

1. Once I buy an app, I can use it for each new iPhone I buy, This was always an issue with other phones, I find an app I like and it's not compatible when I upgrade phones.
    2. The volume of iPhone apps, I tried many RDP clients for the iPhone before I found the one that most suited my need, which includes support for the break key.
    3. Just like the RDP clients, SSH clients are plentiful, I have full access to my lab from my phone, it is awesome.
    4. Yes, it is a locked down platform, yeah you can jailbreak it to open it up, but every time I do it, I am disappointed because it doesn't add any value to me. The locked down part also protects me from myself when it comes to downloading that awesome new app that is actually malware.
    5. The red park console cable someone mentioned earlier, I have had to use it (on iPad) and it worked great and at the time I was thankful for it, but usually it just sits in my bag.

I am sure someone can come up with a similar list for android, but for now the iPhone fills most of my needs in a phone, once it does not, I will look at the alternatives.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am pretty much on board with sticking with Android. I came from the iPhone and could not wait to go back to it after my HTC Incredible and my initial experience with Android. With Apple if an OS comes out I get it, with Android your at the mercy of your phone manufacturer and now a days they kick you to the back of the line because they want the latest and greatest to go with their new phones.

Buuutt Android has made a ton of improvements since last year. My wife wont go to Android and I agree with her, Android is more techy and I find myself googling how to use parts of the google OS lol.

After messing with the Bionic I want a bigger screen. And Verizon does not have the Galaxy S /cry. So I am waiting to check out the Razr and Nexus Prime.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I posted about this on one of my Facebook friends page a few minutes ago. She went from ATT iPhone to Verizon Samsung 4G because ATT didn't have coverage at her house. She has had the phone for a few days and tried to switch back to iPhone but they were out of stock. Verizon droids on 4G are like Maseratis, they go wicked fast and they are pretty, but they are not going to be problem free. iPhone 4s is like a Lexus, old reliable, not gonna have half the problems of the droid.

Her problem was not with the phone necessarily but with the idea that she had to learn a few things to operate her droid. Yesterday my boss was showing me the pull down menu in iOS 5 and I pulled out my Samsung Fascinate and said "Yeah, I have had that for 2.5 years".

I do like the new iPhone's 8MP camera, but I am dissapointed in the lack of manual and flash controls. I can set the ISO, flash sync, and metering modes in any Droid...such a simple thing which iPhone doesn't do, even though the lens and sensor are clearly superior.
  • Options
    I posted about this on one of my Facebook friends page a few minutes ago. She went from ATT iPhone to Verizon Samsung 4G because ATT didn't have coverage at her house. She has had the phone for a few days and tried to switch back to iPhone but they were out of stock. Verizon droids on 4G are like Maseratis, they go wicked fast and they are pretty, but they are not going to be problem free. iPhone 4s is like a Lexus, old reliable, not gonna have half the problems of the droid.

Her problem was not with the phone necessarily but with the idea that she had to learn a few things to operate her droid. Yesterday my boss was showing me the pull down menu in iOS 5 and I pulled out my Samsung Fascinate and said "Yeah, I have had that for 2.5 years".

I do like the new iPhone's 8MP camera, but I am dissapointed in the lack of manual and flash controls. I can set the ISO, flash sync, and metering modes in any Droid...such a simple thing which iPhone doesn't do, even though the lens and sensor are clearly superior.

I tried the iOS5 pull down notifications on my wifes phone and its a bit more than Android's pull down notification. My wife can add some sort of widgets to the pull down menu and access them like her widgets on Mac OS X. Where as Android has several screens with widgets I think Apple is keeping widgets within reach without taking up screen real estate. Also you can adjust where notifications take place and customize it for which apps notifiy you where on screen either up top, middle, etc.
  • Options
    Just pre ordered a Motorola Android Razr /nerdy !!111