Options

anybody work for BMC ? (the software company) I have a 4th interview with them

Ok, so my last 5+ yeasrs with the gov't have been lackluster and I feel like I am moving backwards on my progression path, plus the current position I am in is pure hell and I have actually been told that I was too valuable to get a promotion to another position (luckily I know a few folks that got me the temp promotion and I got moved out of the other position).

Well, I dropped my resume on Monster and DICE a few weeks ago and I have been getting calls and emails daily.

One that I decided to pursue was with BMC as a Senior Automation Consultant. Now I am familiar with some of their software, but their virtualization and automation for the enterprise has really got me interested. Travel will be crazy for the first year (50-75%) , but the rest of the time it is work from home and I can be located anywhere i want to be when I am not at the clients site.

I have been acing the interviews with the senior folks and they even had a guy that was a CCIE interview me today (he even said I aced the interview) and they really seem to like the fact that I am a generalist and have not gotten stuck in a certain technology.

Compensation will most likely be $100K+ (I already mentioned my previous pay as a contractor for the DoD and they didn't even bat an eye), but i just wanted to see if anyone has worked or is working for them and what is the general consensus on the work environment. (i have already read some reviews from the glassdoor website, but it is really varying and would like first hand knowledge from some fellow tech folks).

If the 4th interview goes well on Tuesday I am assuming they will make me an offer this week.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Comments

• Options
    ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    Ugh, reading your thread title sent chills down my spine.

I don't work for them, but do have to use their BMC Remedy system at work.
    Seriously, their software sucks. It's so slow and painful to use that I almost feel like wanna stab someone in the face.
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow
  • Options
    universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    yeah. that is the dod side of the house. they do have some "cloud" / enterprise virtualization stuff that is about 1.5 -2 yrs ahead of everybody else and that is supposedly what i would be assisting with deploying.
  • Options
    tsmith182tsmith182 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Zentraedi wrote: »

Seriously, their software sucks. It's so slow and painful to use that I almost feel like wanna stab someone in the face.

haha I second this, I have to work with BMC on a regular basis and don't care for it to much.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I bet your questions could be answered by looking them up on Glassdoor.com... they are a big enough company that they should have reviews on there.

I don't get all the hate for Remedy, you guys must have bad implementations of it. I of course used Remedy when I was in the USAF. I actually administered the back end of it as part of my job for a while. Very powerful stuff. The job I'm at now is the first place outside of the DoD I've seen it use. Very heavily used at that, large global corporation, works great.

Never seen or worked with any of their other products though.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    First of all good luck on your 4th interview.

My last job I worked with Remedy exclusively, utilizing the change, problem, and incident module. I also used business objects reporting with Remedy. As long as the tool is configured and implemented properly, I don't see why it would be a bad system to use. The object universe is huge with BMC Remedy. The amount of reporting that tool offers is unbelievable.
  • Options
    as i mentioned in the initial post I have already looked on glassdoor , but was hoping someone on this site has worked or is working for them currently.

I had my 4th interview and it went very well, now they want another interview and this time face to face. luckily they have a guy in town working on a project, so I will most likely meet him one evening.

I was asking my recruiter when the interviews would stop and i would get an offer and he mentioned that I am actually being competed over between a couple different branches of the BMC organization and that is the reason for the multitude of interviews because they are gauging how i fit better in the respective branches of the company and the fact that I have ace'd each interview for the sections has only made it harder for them to pick where I would be a better fit.

well, off to interview 5 and possibly 6. one good thing the recruiter did mention was that my value ( $$$) has risen due to the different branches showing interest and my performance in the interviews.
  • Options
    as i mentioned in the initial post I have already looked on glassdoor , but was hoping someone on this site has worked or is working for them currently.

I had my 4th interview and it went very well, now they want another interview and this time face to face. luckily they have a guy in town working on a project, so I will most likely meet him one evening.

I was asking my recruiter when the interviews would stop and i would get an offer and he mentioned that I am actually being competed over between a couple different branches of the BMC organization and that is the reason for the multitude of interviews because they are gauging how i fit better in the respective branches of the company and the fact that I have ace'd each interview for the sections has only made it harder for them to pick where I would be a better fit.

well, off to interview 5 and possibly 6. one good thing the recruiter did mention was that my value ( $$$) has risen due to the different branches showing interest and my performance in the interviews.

5-6 Interviewsicon_confused.gif:

Wow I have never heard of such a thing.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    N2IT wrote: »

I've interviewed with a large Telecom (1st carriers of the Iphone) not to long ago and I had 5 Interviews, sometimes weeks apart.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats, but damn that is a lot of interviews! Seems the bigger the company, the more interviews/hoops you have to jump through. I am sure it will pay off in the end and always nice to be fought over ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    shodown wrote: »
    I've interviewed with a large Telecom (1st carriers of the Iphone) not to long ago and I had 5 Interviews, sometimes weeks apart.

I'll stay away from AT&T then ;)
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    4-6 interviews? Wow! if I were already employed and had to jump through all that and take time off, then not get the position, i'd be livid!
  • Options

Are the positions at both branches identical? If they aren't identical, it seems like you should be given more details about each position, and allowed to decide which one you'd like to take. That is if they decide to extend an offer, which from the sounds of it, is very likely.
  • Options
    update....

jobs are nearly identical, but slight differences.

also, i have an interview with the vp of one of the branches this afternoon.... not making this up... I think it came down to the fact that I spoke with the recruiter that they hired and I told him that one of the interviewers had put one of the positions in a negative context and that I would have turned the position down if they had offered it to me that day.

Right now I am getting a bit tired of the interviews (they are all asking similiar questions) and my wife shares the same view point. If they don't offer me the position(s) tonight then I am about to say thanks but no thanks.... enough is enough... I have had more senior positions with more pay and never had this many interviews. it is starting to put a negative viewpoint on the company structure (or lack there of) in my view point....
  • Options
    Right now I am getting a bit tired of the interviews (they are all asking similiar questions) and my wife shares the same view point. If they don't offer me the position(s) tonight then I am about to say thanks but no thanks.... enough is enough... I have had more senior positions with more pay and never had this many interviews. it is starting to put a negative viewpoint on the company structure (or lack there of) in my view point....

Makes sense to me. When you start to hit 5, 6, 7 etc interviews I personally starting questioning the leadership and the decision making skills of the organization. There are always going to be one off type jobs that it makes sense to interview several times. (CIA, FBI, NASA) But even then that seems extreme.

They already cost you X amount of time and Y amount of money. Eventually you need to start to see some returns or it's a lost cause.
  • Options
    interview with the VP went well yesterday and I left with the feeling that they are just trying to figure out which of their branches they want me to go to. Got a call last night and they wanted to fly me out to the east coast for an interview in person and would make an offer at that time. I had to decline the trip out there because I can not get leave on that short of a notice.

They are now trying to work out either doing a skype interview or a face to face by bringing someone to me or me go to them a week later (when I would be able to get leave scheduled).

longest interview process i have been through. icon_exclaim.gif
  • Options
    I bet they'll end up doing via videoconference. Might not be Skype. I was in a similar situation when interviewing for the job I have now, after 4 interviews they wanted me to come out for a face to face. Trying to schedule it wasn't really working out, so they ended up having me go to this videoconference room at a branch of a local college here. Now that I work here, I know it's a Tandberg solution (with some Cisco and a bunch of other stuff mixed in), high end stuff, much cooler than Skype. :p

Anyway, good luck, get ready for the salary negotiation process, ball is in your court.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Zentraedi wrote: »

Pffffft. I used to think the same thing until we started migrating to Maximo which is web based, and horrible. And now we are moving to Oracle Identity Manager, which is horrid. I still use BMC Remedy and I love it. I'll take it over all of our other options.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    they actually said skype.... I was like OK???
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Pffffft. I used to think the same thing until we started migrating to Maximo which is web based, and horrible. And now we are moving to Oracle Identity Manager, which is horrid. I still use BMC Remedy and I love it. I'll take it over all of our other options.

Oracle Identity Manager and Remedy aren't even in the same product catagory last I checked...
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've mentioned this in a previous thread but: Has anyone used HP service manager 7? THAT ticketing system sucks and I'd pick remedy over it any day... They've recently migrated our KB into it also!!
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    brotenetbrotenet Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok, so my last 5+ yeasrs with the gov't have been lackluster and I feel like I am moving backwards on my progression path, plus the current position I am in is pure hell and I have actually been told that I was too valuable to get a promotion to another position (luckily I know a few folks that got me the temp promotion and I got moved out of the other position).

Well, I dropped my resume on Monster and DICE a few weeks ago and I have been getting calls and emails daily.

One that I decided to pursue was with BMC as a Senior Automation Consultant. Now I am familiar with some of their software, but their virtualization and automation for the enterprise has really got me interested. Travel will be crazy for the first year (50-75%) , but the rest of the time it is work from home and I can be located anywhere i want to be when I am not at the clients site.

I have been acing the interviews with the senior folks and they even had a guy that was a CCIE interview me today (he even said I aced the interview) and they really seem to like the fact that I am a generalist and have not gotten stuck in a certain technology.

Compensation will most likely be $100K+ (I already mentioned my previous pay as a contractor for the DoD and they didn't even bat an eye), but i just wanted to see if anyone has worked or is working for them and what is the general consensus on the work environment. (i have already read some reviews from the glassdoor website, but it is really varying and would like first hand knowledge from some fellow tech folks).

If the 4th interview goes well on Tuesday I am assuming they will make me an offer this week.

Bro, I became a member to this forum just because your thread showed in a google search I made...

We're using (among others) their NMC, Monitoring products and also their ITSM (which I'm supposed to be the admin of it..) in the company that I work in.
    Let me tell you one thing.. For monitoring, if we didn't have "black operation" setups of OpenNMS, Zabbix and Nagios we would be f**ck*d for sure.. And as for the ITSM thing.. well our users/customers still contact us by email (and basically we recreate all tickets ourselves in ITSM aftewards) because the system is sooo badly designed that normal (non IT-crazy) people find it too confusing to work with. Plus we have all sorts of issues like database drops, not applying administrator made changes, services failing to start and many many other great things that constantly put me in the worst of positions.

In all of my IT experience, I've never, ever seen more slow, problematic, full with bugs and badly designed software solutions.

It really makes me wonder how BMC is even able to survive with such kind of products.

My suggestion to you is to stay as far away from these people as possible..
  • Options
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    I've mentioned this in a previous thread but: Has anyone used HP service manager 7? THAT ticketing system sucks and I'd pick remedy over it any day... They've recently migrated our KB into it also!!

don't pick remedy... really... a notebook and a courtier (on foot) would do much faster...
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »

yeah.. most probably the idiot that administrates their "interview" change management request's delegation has issues reducing the complexity of it and they are most probably "going with the flow" icon_rolleyes.gif