Options

Officially accepted a new job today

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
After a year and a half of the help desk, I have accepted a new position at the same company. I'm going to be moving into a release management position. I'm not sure of everything that it will entail, but I'm looking to try my hand at something new and I think that its going to be a challenging position. It comes with a bump in pay and should help open some future doors down the road.
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congratz!! I hope it works out for you.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like your voice is croaking... icon_lol.gif

Congratulations!! Can you at least share the gist as you currently understand it as to what "release management" does? If I had to guess, it sounds like you'll be doing version control on application releases.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hey something I know about. Finally!

Just kidding First off congratz on your new job!

Here is the ITIL definition of release management. It is found in the service transition lifecycle.

(Service Transition)
    The Process responsible for Planning, scheduling and controlling the movement of Releases to Test and Live Environments. The primary Objective of Release Management is to ensure that the integrity of the Live Environment is protected and that the correct Components are released. Release Management is part of the Release and Deployment Management Process.

• Options
    ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    Congrats on the new position. See hard work really does pay off. :D
  • Options
    Sadly I don't know a ton about it. One of the reasons that I am being brought in is because they want to change the job and they need somebody more technically skilled to do so. As N2IT pointed out, the basis of the job is to ensure the integrity of the changes being implemented. I.E. ensuring that the correct management has signed off on the change and that the change being implemented is the same one that was tested.

Other than that, I'm not positive what the daily duties will hold. I know they want to increase automation, and that is another reason that I was selected. I have a history of automating mundane daily tasks that I do. In any case, its a move in the right direction. Getting off the help desk isn't always an easy task and I am happy to try my hand at something new and see what I can do with it. An increase in pay is nice too! (7k)
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Congrats on the new position!
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations on the new job!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats.

When I saw release management I thought you were taking a job at one of those special massage parlors. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Congrats.

When I saw release management I thought you were taking a job at one of those special massage parlors. :)

I've applied at least a dozen times but keep getting rejected. Apparently I'm too creepy and the "customers" think I'm gross. ;)
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I've applied at least a dozen times but keep getting rejected. Apparently I'm too creepy and the "customers" think I'm gross. ;)

icon_lol.gif - Outstanding

Congrats on the new spot, sounds like a heck of an opportunity.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. Sounds like you are excited about it.

Normally release management jobs I have seen are involved with a software company where the job entails running compiling tools and running other specialized software for debugging software code.
  • Options
    Congrats. Sounds like you are excited about it.

Normally release management jobs I have seen are involved with a software company where the job entails running compiling tools and running other specialized software for debugging software code.

I don't think it has quite hit just yet, don't actually start until next week. I think I'll be taking more of a management job. Ensuring that the correct process has been followed, that the right people have signed off on it, and of course that the tested patch is the one that is deployed. Not sure how much I'll be in testing, but that would be cool too.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like an interesting job title

Congrats!