Options

Iphone Vs Android Security

whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
Hello All

I know that there is no phone that is truly secure, but wanted to get everyone's take on Iphone vs Android Security.

Does anyone feel one is heads over heels more secure than the other? If so, why?

I know there are basic security best pratices, such as don't open random emails and links, don't execute unknown programs, etc., but what else does everyone do to lock down their respective Iphones or Android devices?

Thanks!!
2017 Goals:
[ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
Future Goals:
TBD

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I generally hear more about problems with android. The thing that has made it such a popular platform is that it is unlocked and people can manipulate it so much. iPhones on the other hand are extremely locked down, I don't hear about many security risks with them.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The problem is with the "click, download, play" mentality of mobile devices and app stores. Apple's app store has its problems, not sure what their review process is but they regularly pull stuff all the time. Android is kind of more "revealing" by notifying you what an app needs access to but to the average user seeing "needs access to dial numbers" can scare the heck out of them when the app is trying to be specific to the user that yes a phone contacts app might need middle man access to dial a number when you use their app since its a "phone contact app".

Malware takes advantage of this and I hope Google takes a more proactive approach to apps. People here have mentioned before that people should be smarter about apps they download but when people are repackaging apps with malware the end user has little to be smarter about imo.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With AV+FW (if you are rooted) it should be a non issue. My sister in law got a virus on her phone. She installed lookout and hasn't had a problem since.

However with things like this for android:

Secure Android kernel technology attracts attention of DOD, White House -- Defense Systems

And this:
    Whisper Systems :: WhisperCore

I think the security features on android will soon surpass even blackberry (let alone iphone).
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    With AV+FW (if you are rooted) it should be a non issue. My sister in law got a virus on her phone. She installed lookout and hasn't had a problem since.

However with things like this for android:

Secure Android kernel technology attracts attention of DOD, White House -- Defense Systems

And this:
    Whisper Systems :: WhisperCore

I think the security features on android will soon surpass even blackberry (let alone iphone).

+1 Thanks for the information. This is good info and was what I was hoping to learn from the best forums on the net :)
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    +1 Thanks for the information. This is good info and was what I was hoping to learn from the best forums on the net :)

NP. Just keep in mind that a large amount of security is behavior.
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    iPhone is more secure in its current form than Android. Apple has also been quicker in patching vulnerabilities.

At the end of the day though, it's the user that is going to make any device secure or vulnerable. There's no patch for stupid.