Options

Stress Relieve

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I don't know how fitting the title is, but I suppose the various problems faced in life could fall under the umbrella of "stress". What are you're normal methods when life is handing you lemons? For once this is a personal issue, opposed to something career based (which is sorta odd for me as I've always felt that I had my personal crap squared away). I once heard on a radio morning show that people liked Facebook/Twitter as it would allow them to vent their frustration, but that it had started to backfire on them. One caller called in and said she setup a Twitter account that wasn't public and that she always felt better after posting whatever was bothering her (as no one would see it anyway). Recently, there have been threads that I was going to reply to or start that after writing everything, rereading for grammar/spelling (I've recently notice how crap some of my posts have read in that department), and generally digesting my posts I've found myself just deleting it and moving on. Sometimes due to seeing an error in judgment on my part or finding that I couldn't properly respond/post what I wanted to say (for various reasons). But the biggest thing I found by doing this was that I truly did feel better after getting it out, even though I was the only person seeing it! Perhaps it is time for a journal....
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    And of course I don't read the title of the topic to see that it should have been Relief. Epic fail....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hey whatever works man!

I've done that several times. I also talk to myself in the shower.
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    What are you're normal methods when life is handing you lemons?
    Simple. I add sugar, ice, water, two shots of Bacardi 151, stir and enjoy.icon_cool.gif

Life is gonna have its ups and downs; the IT world will have its share of good and bad like every other job.
    To handle stress; I try to exercise as much as possible (just the basics: running; pushups; pullups and crunches) and take things in stride. However; if someone tries to insult or belittle me I'll address the issue right then and there. If I'm gonna complain; I make sure that I complain to the person that can actually DO something about the situation.

Above all else; I just try to keeep things in perspective by reminding myself that no matter how bad or stressful things get, a bad day on the job beats a good day looking for one. icon_thumright.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    Great advice guys! Yeah, hit a few speed bumps, but I think I'm back on smooth highway again (for now lol).
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Doing something with your hands is a great way to relieve stress. Build something (or if you're easily frustrated), clean the yard (easy but time consuming). Anything to occupy your mind and put a time gap between you and the stress can be helpful.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Doing something with your hands is a great way to relieve stress. Build something (or if you're easily frustrated), clean the yard (easy but time consuming). Anything to occupy your mind and put a time gap between you and the stress can be helpful.
    I agree.

Although sometimes I write poetry and lyrics. I turn that stress into music, which calms me down.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    In between studies or work, I like to do something physical (walking, push ups, dishes, etc.). I've find that physical exercise, no matter what kind is one of the best forms of stress relief.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I find that good physical work takes care of a lot of stress. I've been helping my parent's stock up on firewood. After cutting down 4 trees and hauling them out of the woods, any mental stress is gone :D
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I find that good physical work takes care of a lot of stress. I've been helping my parent's stock up on firewood. After cutting down 4 trees and hauling them out of the woods, any mental stress is gone :D

Take your frustration out splitting wood!
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    For me the following works:

1. Set goals -- this is good for motivation and so you don't feel like you are stuck

2. Exercise! Do fun sports or exercises you like -- swimming is fantastic btw! This relieves stress, helps out with health, and is just a win-win-win-win, etc.

3. Have something to look forward to often --- it could be something simple and small, but something you really enjoy.

4. Leave work and stress where they should be -- at work, in the classroom, or wherever they may occur.

5. Identify the things that stress you out the most. Something that you may think you can handle, may actually be stressing you out, such as a bad friend or family member. Eliminate this from your life, or avoid these as much as possible.

6. Spend time with good, quality friends. Friends that are there for you during the fun times AND when crap hits the fan (not just the first).

7. Either find a steady, good relationship with a significant other, work on your current relationship to make it better, or drop the crappy relationship you may have right now, as it may be the source of your stress.

There are other things I personally do, but just my two cents for now!

Hope this helps!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    I will definitely try some of the stuff in this thread, though I don't know how successful I will be in cutting wood (no trees by me). I find I tend to over analyze things, which is causing the undue stress. In matters of work, school, and studying I am fairly cool under pressure. As far as personal life goes, I guess because it not something that comes naturally to me I dwell on thing and over analyze to the point that it is maddening. Will have to work on it I suppose ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    effekted wrote: »
    Take your frustration out splitting wood!

I do that! I split about 10 cords of wood last year.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I game on my PC. Battlefield 3 helping a lot with stress right now. ;)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    I will definitely try some of the stuff in this thread, though I don't know how successful I will be in cutting wood (no trees by me). I find I tend to over analyze things, which is causing the undue stress. In matters of work, school, and studying I am fairly cool under pressure. As far as personal life goes, I guess because it not something that comes naturally to me I dwell on thing and over analyze to the point that it is maddening. Will have to work on it I suppose ;)

Aside from this forum, I don't know any folks in IT that don't have these issues. Or, at least some sort of social issues. I think its part of what makes us so compatible with 1s and 0s. If I say I need 176, I don't get "well, um, maybe, but, only if..." I just get 10110000. There is comfort in knowing your going to get what you ask for every time. Just keep doing what you do that makes you happy and try not to stress too much about the personal side, those over analytics tend to mellow out eventually.

SteveLord wrote: »
    I game on my PC. Battlefield 3 helping a lot with stress right now. icon_wink.gif

One of the companies I worked for years back let us setup LAN games of BF 1942. 8-10 of us or so, system folk vs artists. Nothing like sniping a coworker and hearing them scream and cuss from their cubicle. Great stress release.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness