Server + Booked for Nov 6!!!

whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
First cert attempt in years, and giving myself about 2 weeks to study for this test.

Using Jonathan Lau's book, Server + Certification Bible for SKO-001, and SimulationExams Server + CertNotes.

Wish me luck! Hope my $200+ bucks don't go to waste!
2017 Goals:
[ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
Future Goals:
TBD

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • beingcertifiedbeingcertified Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What happened? Did you pass? Let me know. After I take Network + this month I'm onto Server + !
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    What happened? Did you pass? Let me know. After I take Network + this month I'm onto Server + !

Thanks for asking. Didn't feel like I was prepared enough for it, so postponed it till Nov 18. Will update this thread with results, etc.
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    know your scsi types, raid types, know what luns are, etc.... lots of basics from A+ (basic hardware troubleshooting, but from a server perspective) and Net+ (had basic subneting questions) with a little bit of microsoft thrown in (I had a 2003 enterprise question on mine). ... not that difficult of a test, but you need to know the basics.

the ebook from amazon (lao) is a must and has all the info on it that is in the test (see my thread reviewing the book) and other than a few issues/typos in the final exam it is solid material.

don't sweat it! jus sit for the exam!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
    Ok. I understand that feeling. I almost did the same today for my Network + but said the heck with it and took it and passed anyway.. let me know when you finally go. I think I'm going to start studying for Server Plus now!
    BTW, me taking the Security Plus and the Network Plus was my first cert attemp again in 10 years! Just an FYI!!!
  • JoveJove Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used the book listed here along with the ILT Comptia Server+ Certification book and passed the test last week with a 759. I am a bit disappointed with the score, but it does look great on the resume.
    Finally sat for the test and PASSED!! Woot!

Thanks to Jove, UniversalFrost, and BeingCertified for the encouragement.

TBH, I barely passed, but screw it, a pass is a pass!

I used Jonathan Lau's book, which was fantastic. Focused on the area's Universal Frost mentioned (know your scsi types, raid types, know what luns are, etc.... lots of basics from A+ (basic hardware troubleshooting, but from a server perspective) and Net+ (had basic subneting questions) with a little bit of microsoft thrown in (I had a 2003 enterprise question on mine). ... not that difficult of a test, but you need to know the basics.).

The attachment here was helpful too:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/server/69581-server-exam-cram.html

Took the sample test at the end of Lau's book, which helped. More importantly, any topics I was not sure of, or missed on the sample test, I wrote up flash cards using good old index cards. It sounds very low tech, but writing the ideas down helps me to memorize them better.

First cert in many years and I am quite happy! Now, Security + or Windows 7 (70-682) next? Any suggestions?
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    get darril's book for security+ SY0-201 and you will be able to sit for the exam in a couple of weeks.

congrats on the pass!

also , the ITIL v3 foundations is super simple. might want to look at that.
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
    get darril's book for security+ SY0-201 and you will be able to sit for the exam in a couple of weeks.

congrats on the pass!

also , the ITIL v3 foundations is super simple. might want to look at that.

Thanks UniversalFrost!

I picked up Darril's 201 book and 301 questions, and will be picking up his mp3's too. Will review notes from this site and Professor Messor as well.
    Not too sure if I can make it before the end of the year to take the 201, but I think I should be fine with taking the 301 starting next year.

Any recommendations for the ITIL v3 foundations prep?
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD