Options

Does a Master's degree qualify me for CISSP

JoshsevoJoshsevo Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I am arecent college grad and I am having a hard time finding a job in IT or Forensics. I currently have an Active Clearance from my time in the US Navy and have my CEH, CHFI, Sec+ and working on a few others. But I have recently gone back to school to get my Master's as I am having no luck finding a job anywhere.

It's really weird cause I thought I would get hired failry quickly having the above mentioned stuff. But everyone wants experience.

So if I have no experience but I have my Masters degree in Computer Informations systems Security then would I be qualifed to take this test?

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Do you have any experience at all in any of the domains? If I read ISC2's requirements correctly, the answer would be no. The degree and certs will waive only one of the 5 years required. You still need 4 years experience in at least two of the domains.

From https://www.isc2.org/cissp-professional-experience.aspx

Note that if certain circumstances apply and with appropriate documentation, candidates are eligible to waive one year of professional experience:

One year waiver of the professional experience requirement based on a candidate’s education
    Candidates can substitute a maximum of one year of direct full-time security professional work experience described above if they have a four-year college degree OR Advanced Degree in information security from a U.S. National Center of Academic Excellence in information Security (CAEIAE) or regional equivalent.

OR

One-year waiver of the professional experience requirement for holding an additional credential
    on the (ISC)² approved list
    Valid experience includes information systems security-related work performed as a practitioner, auditor, consultant, investigator or instructor, that requires Information Security knowledge and involves the direct application of that knowledge. The five years of experience must be the equivalent of actual fulltime Information Security work (not just Information Security responsibilities for a five year period); this requirement is cumulative, however, and may have been accrued over a much longer period of time.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Joshsevo wrote: »
    Hello, I am arecent college grad and I am having a hard time finding a job in IT or Forensics. I currently have an Active Clearance from my time in the US Navy and have my CEH, CHFI, Sec+ and working on a few others. But I have recently gone back to school to get my Master's as I am having no luck finding a job anywhere.

It's really weird cause I thought I would get hired failry quickly having the above mentioned stuff. But everyone wants experience.

So if I have no experience but I have my Masters degree in Computer Informations systems Security then would I be qualifed to take this test?

First off, welcome to TE! I've seen you running around on the EH.net forums :)

The Masters degree will remove a year if its CAEIAE approved but you still need four years to get the full designation. Your Sec+ could actually take the place of a year as well (one or the other, not both). Post passing the exam, in your current state, you would achieve the ISC2 Associate designation (20 CPEs a year and $35 annual fee).
    Note that if certain circumstances apply and with appropriate documentation, candidates are eligible to waive one year of professional experience:
    • One year waiver of the professional experience requirement based on a candidate’s education Candidates can substitute a maximum of one year of direct full-time security professional work experience described above if they have a four-year college degree OR Advanced Degree in information security from a U.S. National Center of Academic Excellence in information Security (CAEIAE) or regional equivalent.

OR
    One-year waiver of the professional experience requirement for holding an additional credential
    on the
    (ISC)² approved list
    Valid experience includes information systems security-related work performed as a practitioner, auditor, consultant, investigator or instructor, that requires Information Security knowledge and involves the direct application of that knowledge. The five years of experience must be the equivalent of actual fulltime Information Security work (not just Information Security responsibilities for a five year period); this requirement is cumulative, however, and may have been accrued over a much longer period of time.
  • Options
    No I have no experience. I am trying to find a job but everyone wants experience and nobody wants to take a chance on a guy that has an active clearance 3 certs and a BA but no experience other than Forensics. So ya no job, no experience. So I decided to go back to school since I just got out a few months ago. Might as well stay in the groove and get it knocked out in 16 months.
  • Options
    idr0pidr0p Member Posts: 104
    What are your certs and what degrees did you get and where. Maybe you are looking at the wrong places for employment
  • Options
    CEH
    Sec+
    CHFI
    and soon to be CPT within a week or so. Graduated from Devry with a BA in CIS with dual majors in Network Security and Computer Forensics.

I am on about every job board. I have an active Secret security clearance. I am willing to move anywhere in the country but not for pennies. I do have bills and a family to support and college loans. Never been in trouble with the law.

Soon to have a Mater's degree (well 16 months soon, but still closer than I was in July)

So let me know what I am doing wrong. I am more than willing to alter what I am doing.
  • Options
    j_griffithj_griffith Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    PM me with your resume. Does Charleston, SC area interest you?

R,

jgriffith
    WGU PROGRESS
    M.S Information Assurance and Security______ Completed: 0 CU's
    Start Date: October 2011 _ ______________________ _Remaining: 32 CU's

Goal for term ending 3/30/12 - EWOB1
    Courses Remaining / Term 2 Goal -
    Completed this term -
  • Options
    j_griffith wrote: »
    PM me with your resume. Does Charleston, SC area interest you?

R,

jgriffith

Did you get my PM?