Options

is it possible to be able to connect to the Internet on the plane (in air)?

thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
You can't place the DSL modem or something similar to wire with ISP? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif:D:D You have no chance to
establish a wireless connection alone as well. Perhaps 3G will work but how?
Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yep its possible. Most of the major airlines offer wi-fi now. I'd assume most connect back via satellite but haven't really looked much into it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    poriggityporiggity Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know for a fact that alaska airlines offers wireless internet. I've used it and works decent.
    A+, 70-270, and working on 70-290 now. Certs are good.
    claymoore wrote:
    If you're unzipping your fly to show off your A+, N+ and Sec+, I'm going to ask if it's cold in here.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I flew in Feb, Google had offered free wifi on the Delta flight I was on. Sadly I didn't bring a wifi enabled device with me so I couldn't test....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    free wifi on plane? Yet the airport itself wants to charge you a lot?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    SteveLord wrote: »
    free wifi on plane? Yet the airport itself wants to charge you a lot?

Depends on the airport. For example in Burlington, Vermont, their airport does indeed provide free (and fast, I was able to play WoW with no problems) wifi to the public
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I just happened to fly Alaska Airlines last Friday and paid $10 for their Wi-Fi service. For basic e-mail, chat, and web, I saw surprising little latency.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How does this stuff exactly work ? Assume you have any wi-fi enabled devices then established connection with the WAP placed on plane. what
    about the rest of the connection(being able to get the data from the Internet part)?
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)

• Options
    sasprosaspro Member Posts: 114
    You can bounce an internet connection off a satellite easily.

How do you think the radios & phones work?
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Even with the airlines that offer WiFi only certain planes are equipped. They still charge per flight or per month unless free WiFi is one of their frequent flyer perks, but they generally let you surf the airline site and a couple of others for free. Internet service should be expanding to more flights because it is a potential profit center and is probably cheaper than licensing movies for in-flight entertainment.

Delta Air Lines Blog | New, Free In-Flight Entertainment Is Here!