Options

70-640 studding path.

cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
A little back ground: I'm currently in a NOC Server monitoring & response position. I will eventually be moving into a Jr win2k/2k8 and/or an Exchange Admin role some time in the near future. In preparation I've started studding the 70-640 exam. I have very little exp in server administration.

I started studding the MS press 70-640 R2 edition book, and found it a little over whelming, as i really didn't even have a back ground on the info. So i started backing up my reading with CBTnuggets videos. I found the videos a less in depth.

So here is my plan to finish up studding.

1 - watch all the CBTNuggets - for an overview of all the topics.
2 - read the MS press book and follow all the labs, including the chapters i have already completed.
3 - Review all the topics via the Transignal videos.
4 - Practice exams via messure up from book, and possibly transender if i feel i need another test engine.
5 - use tech net to review missed items from practice tests, and read up on areas i feel i may be weak in as well as more labs.

I guess I'm just looking for thoughts or advice if this sounds like a plan that will end up in passing the exam.

Comments

• Options
    SunnySahotaSunnySahota Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi cruwl,
    I've been making progress through the 70-640 module/exam/call it what you will
    I am following a similar approach to yourself, with the exception of CBT Nuggets. I'm using the Trainsignal videos backed up with the MS Press book for the 70-640 module and the Exam Cram 70-640 book also.
    For practice questions and tests I'm using both disks that came with the MS Press and the Exam Cram books :)

The key thing I think everyone will agree with is that you need to keep labbing everything you learn, so lab lab and LAB!

Sunny
  • Options
    sherrillsherrill Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are using the MS Press book - you should try the suggested practices that are at the end of most chapters. I found them helpful after doing the regular exercises, it acted as sort of a guideline for additional lab study.

I also veered from the standard setup the book recommended and created my own forest and domains from scratch. Then destroyed them, and created them. Over and over... :D
  • Options
    SunnySahotaSunnySahota Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is what I'm currently going through, setting up a network and then tearing it down and starting from scratch :D
    sherrill wrote: »
    If you are using the MS Press book - you should try the suggested practices that are at the end of most chapters. I found them helpful after doing the regular exercises, it acted as sort of a guideline for additional lab study.

I also veered from the standard setup the book recommended and created my own forest and domains from scratch. Then destroyed them, and created them. Over and over... :D
  • Options
    method115method115 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sherrill wrote: »

This is what I plan to do after I'm done reading the book. Right now I've been following the book and skipping the "extra" exercises until after I'm done reading. Which is pretty much I like to approach my exams. Just read the book and get a broad overview of everything and then come back and start concentrating on subjects. Then I'll use the practice test to find any holes.