Options

Two Weeks Notice for Contract Position?

Quick question this evening - should I be obliged to give a two week notice on a contract assignment? Let me explain a little more...

I started the position around 2.5 weeks ago. Because of the corporate policies in place, I have still not been given router access (it's a Cisco job) and have not done any work towards the project (wayyyyy too much training if you ask me, especially since I am technically not an employee). Starting next week I am supposed to train with one of the IT staff, to be allowed access to the routers, but obviously the training will not do me much good as I am moving to a different position.

I am almost certain that even if I do give a notice they will just let me go anyway, but I wanted to get some opinions on it before I send the notice. I guess I really don't want to have to stay there for the two weeks (lol) but I don't want to seem like a jerk either.

Comments

• Options
    unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wrwarwick wrote: »
    Quick question this evening - should I be obliged to give a two week notice on a contract assignment? Let me explain a little more...

I started the position around 2.5 weeks ago. Because of the corporate policies in place, I have still not been given router access (it's a Cisco job) and have not done any work towards the project (wayyyyy too much training if you ask me, especially since I am technically not an employee). Starting next week I am supposed to train with one of the IT staff, to be allowed access to the routers, but obviously the training will not do me much good as I am moving to a different position.

I am almost certain that even if I do give a notice they will just let me go anyway, but I wanted to get some opinions on it before I send the notice. I guess I really don't want to have to stay there for the two weeks (lol) but I don't want to seem like a jerk either.
    Last time I left a contract without giving a proper two weeks the company refused to sign my time card and so I didn't get paid for the previous 1 1/2 weeks. Took em to reconciliation court and somehow I lost. Moral of the story, double check your contract and read the fine print.
    Preparing for CCIE Written
  • Options
    wrwarwickwrwarwick Member Posts: 104
    unclerico wrote: »
    Last time I left a contract without giving a proper two weeks the company refused to sign my time card and so I didn't get paid for the previous 1 1/2 weeks. Took em to reconciliation court and somehow I lost. Moral of the story, double check your contract and read the fine print.

I went ahead and sent in a two week notice. I'll be surprised if they have me sit through training just to leave right after, so we shall see tomorrow.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I essentially was in the same position before I came into my current job. I had worked for them for a couple of week, although I felt that I contributed. Anyhow, they just had me go on home.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    richnewmanrichnewman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    unclerico wrote: »

Did you lose court because you didn't give notice? Or was there something else in the contract?
  • Options
    wrwarwickwrwarwick Member Posts: 104
    wrwarwick wrote: »
    I went ahead and sent in a two week notice. I'll be surprised if they have me sit through training just to leave right after, so we shall see tomorrow.

Just a quick update, they let me go today, but no hard feelings from the client. I think the recruiter was more irritated than anything.

I am very excited to be starting my new gig.