Options

Tips for OS Study

Bravo5Bravo5 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
What do I really need to concentrate on for the OS exam and reality? When I studied for core I was told, by you guys and others, that memorizing IRQs, COM addresses, etc. would really help.....and it did! My target for taking the OS exam is end of July or begining August. I also have a lab with Win 98, XP, NT and coming soon LINUX. What do you guys and gals suggest?
"You will not laugh, you will not cry!
You will learn by the numbers. I will teach you!"

Comments

• Options
    ghaoufghaouf Inactive Imported Users Posts: 317
    go to www.comptia.com and go thru the objectives. also learn the order of the boot files, io.sys, msdos.sys, config.sys, command.com, autoexec.bat
    i realy do not remeber how i studied for the exam though icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    how many of the operating systems covered by the exam do you have access to? try to familiarise yourself with the control panel and right-clicks.

setting up a home network will help with the networking portion.
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    Bravo5Bravo5 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I already have a home network (my lab) with 4 machines one each with 98, NT 4.0, XP and soon LINUX. I am still trying to find a good WIN 2K disk. Any suggestions on the hands on practice method? Something like flash cards with specific items to find i.e. user accounts, IRQ settings, Security Policies etc. ?
    "You will not laugh, you will not cry!
    You will learn by the numbers. I will teach you!"
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    try to work out which operating systems have different sames for the same things (ie network neighborhood, etc). get to know the control panel in each.

sounds like a good lab. linux sounds like fun, but actually isn't part of a+, and it's not really worth getting for the hands-on in network+ either, imho.

simply setting up computers in the different operating systems, networking them and day-to-day running of them should be enough to cover most objectives in a+.

best of luck, sounds like you have good foundations to pass the exam.
    A+ Moderator