Options

Netvanta 1335 vs ProCurve or Cisco layer 3

it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
Hello,

We are starting to look into layer 3 switches for our remote offices (which are connected by an MPLS like carrier ethernet provider in Denver) and the option I like is the Ad Tran NetVanta 1335 which is about $1K without POE for 24 ports. This is less than the Cisco and HPs AND has two dedicated ethernet router ports plus the 24 port switch - as opposed to the HP and Cisco which have 24 ports and one has to be turned into a routing port.

My question is, has anyone used this type of switch from ad tran? I know one org that uses them, but they are managed by the ISP so I have no idea how easy they are to set up and to manage, any potential pitfalls, etc.

NetVanta 1335

Comments

• Options
    No one uses ad trans around here?
  • Options
    billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    Never used them personally. I'm pretty much a Cisco guy, but when deploying to customer sites, I have to say that the majority of stuff from the distribution layer down is ProCurve. Lifetime warranties seem to be the deciding factor.
  • Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use Adtran, not the particular product you are talking about, but I have used Adtran in the past and I have only had good experiences with them. Pretty stable boxes.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    they are rarely used for a reason...
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    If you're short on budget and can't afford Cisco go with HP. Also have a look at Extreme switches (they are making a "come back").
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    they are rarely used for a reason...

I see them on networks all over the place. Mainly for breaking off a PRI delivered over COE or something. Some which actually terminate a T1 or a T1 bond. In fact, when I do a network evaluation my first instinct is to look for an ad-tran (they are kind of a thin form factor) discreetly mounted somewhere which either carries voice, data, a bond, or a point to point. I have only ever seen carriers use them and I wonder why I don't on my internal network.

I don't have anything against pro-curve except that for the capability you are paying at least $800 more. This makes sense if you have to stack switches, but I am dealing with offices that literally have about 10-15 computers. A 24 port switched married to a router with 2 ethernet and 2 T1 interfaces is really the device I need.

What I don't know is there manageability. As another poster mentioned, they are rock solid. Ad tran is sort of the forgotten networking company, there stuff is all over the place and the oldest one I have seen outlasted the phone switch it was connected too, the phone switch was installed in 2002. I have a level of trust for them, just no practical experience.
  • Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I see them on networks all over the place. Mainly for breaking off a PRI delivered over COE or something. Some which actually terminate a T1 or a T1 bond.

Exactly, that's my experience with Adtran. I've worked with them as T1 routers, bonded T1 routers and for voice trunks. In those areas, I can tell you I trust Adtran.
  • Options
    unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Adtran equipment is decent. We have some of their aggregation devices for the few Ethernet over TDM circuits that are in use. We purchased a company this year that has managed Adtrans for CE devices, however I will be replacing with Cisco. Adtran CLI is almost identical to Cisco.
    Preparing for CCIE Written