Options

Ubuntu 11.10 - What do you think?

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
Anyone out there using Ubuntu 11.10? I'd like to know your opinions on it. I'm considering going over to Ubuntu as my laptop OS and would like to hear your thoughts. I am very specifically concerned with attractiveness and customizability of the desktop.

12 GB RAM, 1 GB DDR 3 video, i7, 120 GB SSD.

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    the os its self is ok i do not like the x11 that they use so i ended up on mint linux, its ubuntu core with a better gui
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Once I got rid of unity (again icon_sad.gif ) it was fine. I have been using it for about a week or so.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    the os its self is ok i do not like the x11 that they use so i ended up on mint linux, its ubuntu core with a better gui

Same here. Not digging the new desktop layout. I've been running Crunchbang 10 openbox for a while and have always been happy with it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not a fan of the new slide in menu as well. Overall haven't run into any super critical flaws but then again I'm not really using it for the majority of my day to day home operations :P. There's still somewhat of an issue with the integration of ATI driver compatibility with the 69xx series and flash w/FF (using Ubuntu as a guest) but other than that things look good.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I don't like Unity, and I don't like Gnome 3. They're both kind of the same style. So going to 11.x, I switched to Kubuntu. I've always kinda liked KDE better anyway. I got hooked on Awn, which ran better with Gnome, but these days it seems to run just as well with KDE.

I haven't been running any flavor of Linux as my desktop since I changed jobs, kinda missing it.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    I don't like Unity, and I don't like Gnome 3. They're both kind of the same style. So going to 11.x, I switched to Kubuntu. I've always kinda liked KDE better anyway. I got hooked on Awn, which ran better with Gnome, but these days it seems to run just as well with KDE.

I haven't been running any flavor of Linux as my desktop since I changed jobs, kinda missing it.

Missing having Linux as my main OS (well, I had a MacBook Pro & a Linux desktop at my previous job..)

However, I digress - I do like Ubuntu 11.10 - but I don't like Unity & I don't like Gnome. I prefer Xfce.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I dislike the the new Unity interface. Works great with KDE though.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't upgraded yet, I was actually waiting for someone to say something until I upgrade. My current ubuntu I have to use pkill gnome-panel every time I reboot in order for my menus to show. Very annoying.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I have been utilizing it for a week I am very impressive. The look, feel and the overall speed of the OS is great. I am a Federo Core/Cent fan personally...but I think the Ubuntu team has made some great advances. It offers a great desktop experience. I will be utilizing it as my primary linux system now. And one other great feature....Ubuntu One....2 words....LOVE IT!! Kudos Ubuntu team.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    I hate gnome 3.
    Good to see the improvements coming but do not like unity and did I mention how much I hate gnome3.

I'm more of a fedora person (packages tend to be more up to date on fedora)

fedora 16 should be out next week
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thank you all. I have some good stuff to consider here. I'm thinking of going this way as it will just be easier to have my test lab/dev work done on some Server 2008 R2 VMs rather than having things run on multiple servers and getting my laptop totally fubar after I do something stupid with a DLL or whatever.

I'm currently leaning inthe direction of Kubuntu. Rep to all who responded if I can rep you.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I personally abandoned Ubuntu for a desktop OS with 11.04. I've gone back to Debian as my preferred Linux desktop OS
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Still on 10.x, and will stay put as long as I can-- especially as I have an older laptop at home I run it on. Didn't like what I saw of 11.04, and suspect 11.10 will be more of the same.

All that said, I was not pried loose of my Mac fanboy-ism until I started using 10.x regularly. Between cheap, fast Ubuntu 10.x running on SSD (making an old laptop as good as an old Macbook Air) and Android phones/tablets, I may never need to buy heavily into Apple again.

As for Mint-- later 10.x Mint versions and 11.x are just too stinkin' slow on all the hardware I've tried them on. Mint would be my preferred rollout to a corporate end-user environment though, as if that would ever happen.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Anyone out there using Ubuntu 11.10? I'd like to know your opinions on it. I'm considering going over to Ubuntu as my laptop OS and would like to hear your thoughts. I am very specifically concerned with attractiveness and customizability of the desktop.

12 GB RAM, 1 GB DDR 3 video, i7, 120 GB SSD.

Robert I really like the new OS. There are some quirks like the slide menu that gets in the way at time that seems to be easily triggered. The functionality of the OS is nice and it runs well on my older dell laptop. 512 video card and 4 gb ddr2 ram.

One other thing I noticed is the WEP/WPA key won't stay in the OS. After every reboot it asked for the password again :/

This seems to be a known error where the network key will hold until reboot.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1860397

I am a complete noob, but it looks like I am going to try to downgrade my network manager down to 11.04 or the last version.

Any suggestions?
  • Options
    creativeLiquidcreativeLiquid Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have to concur with LinuxMint.
    It's awesome.

I installed Unity... but it was too... "Mac-ish".
    Mint is sweet :)
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I guess im not the only one that making the switch from Ubuntu to Linux Mint
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    Linux Mint all the way.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I put Xubuntu 11.10 as dual boot on my work laptop about a week ago and its been pretty good to me so far. Pretty nice Mac like layout in the XFCE desktop and the good old out of the box ready Ubuntu underneath.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    I love 11.10. Except for Unity icon_lol.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
    11.10's pretty good for me too. Tried to force myself to use it a few times so I can adjust to the linux world... For awhile I was going good, until I started installing a few things and stuff started screwing up, couldn't boot all of a sudden, etc.. Just got tired of the problems and googling for solutions every other day.

Back on 7 Ultimate ^_^. Might go back once Win 8 come out or something.
    CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA