Has anyone been to the official Redhat training?

MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
So my company is sending me to the official Redhat training in Orlando, FL in January for RHCSA. Its two seperate courses, which are a weeklong each, that are back to back. RH124 and RH134. My question is, has anyone been to the official training? If so, did you like it and did you feel prepared enough to take the exam at the end of the course?

I have some Linux experience working for my company. Mostly customizing the kernel and adding other modules as needed for our product. I am hoping that if I study RHEL6 until I goto the course and take the course that I will be well prepared to pass the exam.

Thoughts?

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've never done Red Hat's training, but I've been to other "official training" types of classes and bootcamps. I think you've got the right idea, reading up ahead of time. The more knowledge you bring to the class, the more you're going to get out of it. Whether or not you'll be ready for the real exam after the class, that's definitely something you'll have to wait and see for yourself. You'll be a whole lot closer to being ready, that's for sure.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    I went through the official RHCT and RHCE courses a few years back (RHEL 5.x). If you don't have a background in RHEL then expect to spend many long nights reviewing. Neither of the exams are gimme's, and they will test your knowledge of the subject matter in very creative ways. FWIW, these were my favorite exams!

To answer your question directly: I loved the courses but I also spent a bit of time studying above and beyond the class to ensure a passing result. Expect to spend time studying in the evening and it'll help if you can build a virtual lab on your laptop.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I never been to official Red Hat training, but a handful of my friends attended official Red Hat training, and I think it's the best resource to prepare for Red Hat exams, so pay attention to the training as this is the best way to prepare for the real exam. Take notes, and try to do a similar configuration at home so you can practice later on.

It all depends on your experience and preparation. As far as RHCE is concerned, even if you are VERY experienced, you still need to prepare because the exam covers a broad range of topics (and trust me the exam will test you on all those topics!). Do your best in preparing BEFORE the training, and if you feel that you can do *all* the labs provided in the training *alone* and without referring to any reference (except the man pages), then you are ready to take the exam.

Let us know how the training go :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am not going to the training for RHCE, I am going for RHCSA. Supposedly, after the second week, I take the exam on the last day of class. I dont expect the exam to be easy by any means, but I am hoping that the course will cover whats on the exam instead of just general RHEL knowledge. For instance, the official VMWare training. The courses I went through didnt cover the exam at all. Instead it went over normal day to day tasks.
    MrAgent wrote: »
    I am not going to the training for RHCE, I am going for RHCSA. Supposedly, after the second week, I take the exam on the last day of class. I dont expect the exam to be easy by any means, but I am hoping that the course will cover whats on the exam instead of just general RHEL knowledge. For instance, the official VMWare training. The courses I went through didnt cover the exam at all. Instead it went over normal day to day tasks.

The exam isn't easy, but it's not difficult either. It tests you on each and every topic mentioned in the prep guide (exam topics list). The training is sufficient, it will cover all the topics, and you will do them practically. The training is exam oriented.

• MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    The exam isn't easy, but it's not difficult either. It tests you on each and every topic mentioned in the prep guide (exam topics list). The training is sufficient, it will cover all the topics, and you will do them practically. The training is exam oriented.

Awesome, thats what I was hoping to hear. I also have Damian Tommasino's book. I am planning to study it and do the labs in it before I head to training as well so that I have a better chance at the end of the second week.
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Awesome, thats what I was hoping to hear. I also have Damian Tommasino's book. I am planning to study it and do the labs in it before I head to training as well so that I have a better chance at the end of the second week.

Excellent plan, if you can do all the labs in Red Hat training and then Damian's book, then you're definitely good to go

Good luck icon_thumright.gif