Options

Job at military base

gonXgonX Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was offered a job as a pc repair tech at a military base in GA the sec+ cert is required but I was told in order for them to hire me I had to get the MS 70-680 and 70-685 before the 21st of this month. Without at least the 70-680 they told me I would not be eligible for even a helpdesk position. Not sure if it's this way everywhere but incase someone else starts work on the sec+ thinking it might land them a job with the dod that in itself will not. In my area there is no demand for anything cisco so for now I'm going to start working on the 2 certs above at my own pace.

Comments

• Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Thats correct, this falls under the DoD 8570 directive, requiring for IAT Level 2 personnel to have an OS cert revelent to their position and one of several security certs, of which Security+ is by far the easiest. You will encounter this everywhere you go for DoD jobs.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    MiikeB wrote: »
    Thats correct, this falls under the DoD 8570 directive, requiring for IAT Level 2 personnel to have an OS cert revelent to their position and one of several security certs, of which Security+ is by far the easiest. You will encounter this everywhere you go for DoD jobs.

This is also a requirement for service members since they fall under the same guidelines. When the S+ was announced it was a pain for everyone to get training on it lol. I didnt have the S+ since it wasnt a requirement for me but I have some buddies who had to go get it last year before the deadline.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The caveat to 8570 is that contractors MUST be compliant prior to engagement, whereas servicemembers and DoD civilians are given a 6 month 'grace period' to earn the required certification(s).
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    gonXgonX Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MiikeB wrote: »

Do you have a link for chart that has this in it the charts I have seen do not include the MS Certs.
  • Options
    RappellerRappeller Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Look about halfway down this page for the chart. I am an IAT ll Technician and Security+ is all I need per DOD regulations. Now specific jobs can require other certs but that is on a case by case basis.

EC-Council | DoD 8570
    WGU B.S.IT - Software - Completion Date January, 2015 (Sooner Hopefully)
    Courses Completed - EWB2 CLC1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 WSV1
    Courses Needed - INT1 BOV1 TPV1 QLT1 LAT1 GAC1 HHT1 LET1 ORC1 KET1 IWT1 MGC1 WDV1 KFT1 TWA1 ABV1 ANV1 WPV1 CPW5
    Transferred- BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, IWC1 SSC1, SST1, TSV1
  • Options
    The requirement for OS certifications is not in any chart, but directly from 8570. This is the sum total of the requirement, it indicates that MCSA is sufficient.

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/857001m.pdf
    AP3.2.6. Operating System Requirement. IATs and designated CND-SPs must also obtaincertifications required to implement the IA requirements for their specific operating systemenvironment (e.g., Microsoft Operating Systems Administrator Certification), unless theoperating system certification is also on the list of approved DoD IA certifications at Table
    AP3.2.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Rappeller wrote: »
    Look about halfway down this page for the chart. I am an IAT ll Technician and Security+ is all I need per DOD regulations. Now specific jobs can require other certs but that is on a case by case basis.

EC-Council | DoD 8570

That is not correct. Many units THINK that way, but they are not reading the directive. Others ignore it because it is not cost effective to send personnel to get trained. Security+ classes are just now picking up speed.

Honestly I dont like 8570 anymore. Especially with the requirements to even attend a class (skillport), I see more and more people cheating just so they can get/keep their job. Its depressing as heck.
  • Options
    jayc71jayc71 Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I didn't know that was a requirement for contractors, is that new? I know many contractors who have gotten hired without all the pre-req certs and were given the 6-month 'grace period' to pass them... and I know quite a few who didn't pass within that period and are still employed.

I think it has a lot to do with the unit.
    CISSP, CCSP, CCSK, Sec+, AWS CSA/Developer/Sysops Admin Associate, AWS CSA Pro, AWS Security - Specialty, ITILv3, Scrummaster, MS, BS, AS, my head hurts.
  • Options
    jayc71 wrote: »
    I didn't know that was a requirement for contractors, is that new? I know many contractors who have gotten hired without all the pre-req certs and were given the 6-month 'grace period' to pass them... and I know quite a few who didn't pass within that period and are still employed.

I think it has a lot to do with the unit.

Your last sentence answered your question. :)
  • Options
    ootoot Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This will give you an idea on OS Certs requirements for DoD 8570
    (from the Navy - Flow Chart - Updated 11/01/11).

https://www.cool.navy.mil/ia_documents/ia_iat_flow.htm
  • Options
    onatechmissiononatechmission Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi gonX,

I'm just curious to know, are you near Fort Stewart GA ?