Options

Backblaze storage

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
This is the coolest thing I have seen all week

Backblaze show us how to build a 135 terabyte storage pod for $7,384

When I get the business going, I know what I am going to use for my "san" services lol.

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I remember the days when 1GB was considered a lot. (As I'm sure many of "old" folks do...) 5.25 floppies were still around at that time.

I'm sure in ~10 years, 135 TB is gonna be considered a standard on a laptop, or even a tablet. LOL
  • Options
    echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115
    We seriously considered building a pair of these at work as backup targets for disk to disk backup. This system does have some limitations though. Having non hot-swappable hard drives is a pain, and everything going through port multipliers looks like a lot of potential points of failure and bottleneck. We ended up using a Norco 24 bay case and a high-end hardware raid controller instead. 72TB of raw storage (60 usable in RAID6) in 4U.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am seriously looking into this for myself :) not at 7k of course.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My only complaint is that it's built for Windows/Mac. I'm currently using Carbonite and it's great but, it's Windows only. I eventually want to move over to using Linux more.
  • Options
    terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My only complaint is that it's built for Windows/Mac. I'm currently using Carbonite and it's great but, it's Windows only. I eventually want to move over to using Linux more.

Take a look at Crashplan in that case. Similar service but more client options. It's been on my list to try ever since Mozy decided to bump up their subscription costs.

Back to the original topic, these are a fantastic idea for what they were built for and it's awesome to see a company be so open about their design. You just need to keep in mind that they have custom built software running on top of these to make sure that data is replicated between pods and they don't rely on every pod being up all the time. They can take an entire pod down for maintenance and replace drives without issue. If you're using these and they are your single point of failure then taking them offline to replace drives may be unacceptable.

Still, for 7k you can built 10 of them for the cost of some retail storage solutions ;)