Options

Music while studying?

xirtlookxirtlook Member Posts: 124
Does anyone like to listen to music or have background music while studying?

whether its instrumentals on low volume while reading, or loud techno dance music while configuring routers/switches?

who listens to music while reading/studying/working?

and what kind of music do you listen to?

I change from Piano/Instrumentals, to Techno, to regular music, all depending on what im doing or how I'm feeling.
nerd power.

Comments

• Options
    ConradJConradJ Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yup! My automatic reaction when I sit at my computer after boot is to start Foobar2000. Then I'll think about the reason I turned the computer on.
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I usually play jazz trios (either guitar or piano with bass and drums) while I'm studying. Certainly helps to break up the monotony.icon_thumright.gif

(....and 80's rap blasting when playing violent video games with the nephews....icon_twisted.gif )
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    SettSett Member Posts: 187
    Doesn't work for me, I can't focus if it's not quiet around.
    Non-native English speaker
  • Options
    universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    i usually listen to classical, but on occasion I switch to some metal if the material is very dry and putting me to sleep.

when i study i wear my bose QC2 noise cancelling headphones with the music on because that is about the only thing that will drown out the kids screaming and the wife yelling in the background.... serious!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Drum and bass, Pandora channels (nujabes channel is great, if you like good hip-hop/beats), and ambient/progressive trance.
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Depending on the material I will listen to instrumental (mostly post-punk) but when I'm doing actual configs/building labs/etc. I will just turn on the big playlist of everything from metal/punk/acoustic/classical/rap/rock/whatever is in there :)
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I usually listen to some music while I study doing labs or reading books :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    No music while reading...keep itunes on random while doing lab work
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I always listen to music while studying. They type may vary (Celtic, Prince so on...) but it's always on.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    I always listen to music or something motivational while I'm studying (lab, taking notes, etc) ... it could be jazz, hiphop or a great lecturer giving a speech. now if I'm reading its usually a quiet environment. my best times to read are in a library or an hour or two before bed.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I am reading I am listening to something without complex lyrics or vocals. Usually something trancy like certain Nine Inch Nails songs or some random Indie music. If I am reading I don't want to start singing, focusing on keeping time, or any other non-sense. If I am labbing it is a completely different story. Lyrical complexity is welcome and so is fast music with aggressive beats. I'll sing like I'm some kind of rock star and pound the keyboard to the beat of the drums. If it is perfectly quiet, every single thing I hear will break my concentration and it drives me literally insane.
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    I listen to music while I Study, Read, Labbing, Practice Test but I can't have the TV on it just screws up my concentration to much.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I like to listen to video game soundtracks/remixes, jazz, or pretty much anything without vocals. The music can help me focus, but not if I'm distracted listening to the lyrics. Tonight, for example, I'm listening to things like this while I'm studying physics and running through some Exchange labbing:
    (Music to Test By seemed appropriate for TE.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 102
    Slowhand wrote: »
    I like to listen to video game soundtracks/remixes, jazz, or pretty much anything without vocals. The music can help me focus, but not if I'm distracted listening to the lyrics. Tonight, for example, I'm listening to things like this while I'm studying physics and running through some Exchange labbing:

Cool, another person who appreciates video game soundtracks icon_smile.gif

Me, I always have some kind of music on.

When studying from a textbook, it's usually some instrumental track that doesn't have vocals. I get distracted extremely easily if there's lyrics involved, while reading.

If I'm labbing or practising, it doesn't matter what kind of music is on. I still prefer something relaxing, but progressive trance will do nicely also.

At work, I listen to anything loud on my MP3 player. Basically, anything to drown out chatter from coworkers. I've become allergic to small talk lately.
    WIP: CISSP, MCSE Server Infrastructure
    Casual reading:
    CCNP, Windows Sysinternals Administrator's Reference, Network Warrior

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    elTorito wrote: »
    Cool, another person who appreciates video game soundtracks icon_smile.gif
    Indeed, OCRemix has always been good to me.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.