CCNA Passed. . .Can I Get CCNP In 1 Year?

grizzlyboregrizzlybore Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello People,
I've been on techexam for a while now, although i'm yet to post
I'd usually visit this section and browse through every thread, reading every input
Thankfully i just passed my CCNA and now need to move to CCNP
But i need to know two things:
1. If i can get the CCNP before September next year (All things being equal i.e i pass all the exams i sit for)
as i need it during my application for fall next year. and
2. How many exams i need to sit for

I'm sorry i didnt post this in the CCNP section, because i reasoned that section is usually sparse, and i need a reply ASAP

Thanks

Comments

• CheesyBreadCheesyBread Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's a lofty goal but it's possible. I'm ending this year with CCNA:Sec, and starting in January I had planned on doing CCNP in 2012. I think I might do RedHat Cert Sysadmin though instead, still on the fence though. Either way, yes you can do it. It's not even really "harder", it's just "more CCNA".
  • hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    Hello People,
    I've been on techexam for a while now, although i'm yet to post
    I'd usually visit this section and browse through every thread, reading every input
    Thankfully i just passed my CCNA and now need to move to CCNP
    But i need to know two things:
    1. If i can get the CCNP before September next year (All things being equal i.e i pass all the exams i sit for)
    as i need it during my application for fall next year. and
    2. How many exams i need to sit for

I'm sorry i didnt post this in the CCNP section, because i reasoned that section is usually sparse, and i need a reply ASAP

Thanks

It's possible, but why rush and not understand all the topics fully?
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I started my CCNP journey last December after completing the CCNA Security.

There are three exams that you have to pass to get the CCNP. I have completed two of them and am taking the third by the end of the month. I disagree that the CCNP is just more CCNA. I think the CCNP is much more in depth and there is alot to learn for the ROUTE and SWITCH exams. The third exam, the TSHOOT exam is just a test to see that you can put it all together and troubleshoot a network.

So, if all goes well with the TSHOOT exam, I will have done the CCNP in less than a year.

Now, that being said, I have spent at least 3 hours reading and doing labs every weekday and up to possibly 8 hours on Saturday and 8 hours on Sunday every week. It has been all that I really think about around the clock. I even spent my vacation reading the ROUTE OCG on the beach. So, while it is possible, it can't be done casually.

Obviously, people learn at different rates, and have different knowledge bases going in, but it certainly can be done.

Good luck.
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    I even spent my vacation reading the ROUTE OCG on the beach.

Now THAT is dedication lol.

To the OP, yes I think the CCNP is attainable in a year, for sure. Just do plenty of labs and keep your head in books, and I think you can definitely do it. Study at frequent intervals. Also, you don't necessarily need to put in crazy hours. What I'm saying is that it's probably best to hit the material daily, even if it's only for one hour. Not everyone has the time of day to study 5-6+ hours a day. I did in the summer, but don't anymore. Definitely try to hit the topics daily though. This way, the material will keep getting refreshed!

I find this better than not studying for like a week, and then trying to study 8 hours a day, for a few days. Sure, after those few days I feel as if I'm the king of that topic, and it's surely in my head for keeps! So I go to another topic.. and don't touch that topic for another week or two... then I come back to it, and whoops! I'm not as slick as I thought I was lol. When I hit the topics frequently though, they stay fresh, and get engraved into permanent memory a little deeper with each refresh. Then when somethings not as sharp, it only takes a quick look and it all comes back. However, I still recommend putting in long study sessions at least occasionally, mainly for labbing. When you're learning a topic at first you should probably spend a ton of time configuring and validating that it works through your labs. Then, it's easy to go back later when you want to experiment or test certain ideas that pop up. These are all just my opinions though!

You're going to want to use GNS3 or build out your own home lab. You can get by the CCNA with just packet tracer, but I'm pretty sure CCNP goes outside the scope of what packet tracer offers. Just stay on the grind. Keep your studying steady, even when it gets tough. You'll probably get it done well within a year.
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    hodgey87 wrote: »
    It's possible, but why rush and not understand all the topics fully?

I don't think 1 year is rushing the CCNP...that's plenty of time for 3 exams.
  • alliasneoalliasneo Member Posts: 186
    SharkDiver that is really good going and hats off for the dedication.

I feel I was the same for the CCENT. I've basically spent the last 3 months studying Cisco every single day. Putting in at least an hour every night after work (sometimes more) and lots of time at the weekend.

Motivation is key. I just keep thinking that if I want a good career and be able to work my way up the ladder then I have to put the work in and learn this stuff. For me, it's not a chore to study. I really enjoy the work and find looking at routing tables and studying the material really interesting.

Do you think that for someone who goes for the CCNA can then go straight on and start learning the CCNP or do you think it's best to try and find a job and get the experience or maybe go for the CCNA security or Voice first...
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    alliasneo wrote: »
    Do you think that for someone who goes for the CCNA can then go straight on and start learning the CCNP or do you think it's best to try and find a job and get the experience or maybe go for the CCNA security or Voice first...

I'd like to think the CCNA as a vast ocean that's a foot deep where as the CCNP is a river that's 50 feet deep. You brush the topics in CCNA but once you start into the CCNP ROUTE material, you realize there's definitely a lot more to learn. I'm lucky enough to be working in the networking field and I get to work on enterprise and carrier class routers daily, so a lot of the stuff comes easy. If you're able to, find a job as a network tech or something so you can actually put your knowledge to good use, otherwise, it's just case study and a paper cert. That's my personal opinion obviously. CCNP in a year? Definitely do able... can you master everything in a year though? Probably not.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • kevin31kevin31 Member Posts: 154
    Hi Guys,

Sorry to barge in on a post. I no of guys who have done this. Even went from no cisco certs to full CCNP in around 18months. I no take alot of hard work and dedication but its doable.

CCNP is alot hard from what I have heard then the CCNA. I have personally been trying to do the CCNA on and off for 3 years+ ( sad I no) but as guys have said needs alot of dedication and motivation. Think it helps if your working in networking already which is something im not.

All the best with your studies!

kev
    LAB - 4 X 2651XM's 1 X 2620 3 X 2950 1 X 2509 AS 1 X 3550
  • DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul. – Invictus

Its all up to you!
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Depending on your learning ability, I'd say 1 year to do CCNP is plenty. GL HF. Roll a blog on here if it helps you get to your goal. You'll help others in the process as well who are curious the time and effort it takes. Win/win.