Options

Could I get a job with these?

aheinzmanaheinzman Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am still a high school senior but I am always planning for the future. Right now I am reading a Cisco beginners guide in my free time for fun. I am going to go to a good university for Information Technology-Networking/ Systems and that is a 5-yr bachelors degree with a required co-op (like an internship but I think it is longer) and during college/in my free time I am going to study for CCNA, MS, and Network+/A+ certifications. Also I think I am going to really try to get a part-time job at geek-squad or something during my first year of school because its part time and relevant to my career i think. Or even working for a call center or help desk I don't know
I found this forum on reddit and ever since I went on it I am freaking out that I won't be able to get a job. But do you think with all of that I will still not be able to get a job in the IT field.
My like dream I think is achievable; I want to be a Network Administrator at a school or small-medium company.
Also any other things I can do now or study now? See any flaws in my plan?
-Anna

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sounds like a good plan to me. Try to get a good part time job/internship while you go to school. A degree, certifications and a little experience should make it fairly easy to land a good job when you are done.Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Yup, it sounds like a good path you've laid out. One thing I can say, though, don't hold to it too rigidly: if you find new opportunities, or you change your mind about something you'd like to study, don't be afraid to consider those options in lieu of simply tossing them out because they don't fit perfectly with the plan.

I'm sure I'm not the only person on this forum that can look back and see a missed job-opportunity or some other chance that came along that was passed over because I wasn't sure I was ready or I thought it would simply distract me from what I was currently doing.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    ElectroxElectrox Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think you have set yourself a realistic goal. As for the part timer job, I was once in a similar situation working for a call center where they were just testing some new kind of cloud software (see here), so this allowed me some insights that laster turned out useful in my "real" job. Any work experience is generally positive for your job search, except if you were a bouncer in a nightclub of course ;).