Options

Session Layer Function

jude56gjude56g Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
Odom summarizes the function of Layer 5 to "establish and maintain end to end bidirectional flows between endpoints" which I understand. However he goes on to say it also "manages transaction flows"

I'm not sure what is meant by transaction flows. Can anyone speak to that point?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    TheFoX21TheFoX21 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Transaction sequencing would probably be a better term to describe it. The session layer manages the conversations between end points and creates notifications if some of the messages fail. It establishes, manages and terminates the connection between the local application and the application on the remote host. In the packet header, indications show whether the packet is in the middle of a conversation flow or at the end. It also can place other indicators in the packet header for full-duplex, half-duplex, or simplex operation, and establishes checkpointing, adjournment, termination, and restart procedures. Once the conversation is completed it will pass the data up to layer 6. Hopefully that helps to explain it a bit better.
  • Options
    AmjoAmjo Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As I learned on how this layer works is by defines how data conversations are started, controlled and finished. it manages the transaction sequencing and in some cases authorisation, these messages may be bidirectional, also the session layer manages these conversations and creates notifications if some messages fail. it shows whether the data is in the middle of a conversation flow or at the end and only after a completed conversation the data will be passed up to layer 6, so I guess thats what he ment by "Manages Transaction flow"..
    In Progress: MCTS Network Infa
    Next: MCTS SA toward MCITP SA