Options

laptop cuts off for no apparent reason

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've had this issue for quite some time, my Toshiba laptop (model a505-s6980) powers off at times. I don't believe it's due to any overheating issues as it's not under any heavy load when it cuts off and I have cleaned out the vent recently.

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    have ya done a ram check?
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    That's what I'm doing right now (using Memtest).
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Memory wouldn't cause it to shutoff. This is almost always an overheating issue or a battery issue.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Memory wouldn't cause it to shutoff. This is almost always an overheating issue or a battery issue.
    +1 especially with Toshibas, from what I've seen anyway.
    God deserves my best
  • Options
    I'm fairly certain it's not due to it overheating as I didn't have it on long when it cut off (I've never had it cut off on me when CPU usage is around 100% for several hours running an intensive application). Could it be a battery issue even though it's plugged in most of the time?
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Really doesn't take long to overheat if the heatsink isn't seated properly. Still worth keeping an eye on the temps.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Could be dust build up. Or needing to re-apply TIM. Both are good to do, even if it isn't the cause.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Other than MEMTEST, what other tests/diagnostics have you run?
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Could be dust build up. Or needing to re-apply TIM. Both are good to do, even if it isn't the cause.

This is true ...I had one once that would cut off almost 2 minutes after boot. Open you case and check out the CPU, reapply the cooling stuff and clean the crap from around your fan vent and I bet it stops
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I had a 17" toshiba that had one of the two or three fans go bad, and itwould overheat regularly. I never replaced it, just lived with it and watched what surface I had it on.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    I had a similar problem before. I asked the person on a number of occasions was anything ever spilt on laptop, answered every time "no, definitely not". I had to concede defeat after I had tried everything I could think of , and I really hate to do that. Told her I couldn't fix it and she would have to buy a new one, which she did.
    About a year later she admitted to spilling a rather large rum and coke on laptop, which she thought was hilarious. Still have no idea if it is related, but I do know I would not have spent as much time on that laptop had I known that.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    KenC wrote: »
    About a year later she admitted to spilling a rather large rum and coke on laptop, which she thought was hilarious. Still have no idea if it is related, but I do know I would not have spent as much time on that laptop had I known that.

It probably is the reason. We have that happen at work occasionally. One of our users has used her DVD drive as her cup holder - not joking!
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had a laptop that was shutting off about 3 seconds after turning on. The ONLY thing I did with this laptop was take it apart and clear all of the dust. Laptop had no further problems after that and started up just fine. No other problems with it to this day.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens