Options

Access Server Recommendations

SeenSeen Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I want an access server that I can connect 3 routers and 3 switches to for my CCNA home lab. I was looking at the 2501, 2511 and 2509, are there any differences between these? How much memory and what IOS will I need for the server? Is there anything else to consider. Are there any other models you'd recommend?

Also, is one model going to be quieter than the other?

Comments

• Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    you're going to need a cisco 2511 if you want to make your life easier. the 2511s have dual async ports which you'll need for your octal cables. they're not hard to find but can be a bit pricey considering what they're used for. terminal servers don't require much memory at all, they're just reverse telnetting to your devices. i have a 2650 with an NM-16A module installed. you can use any 26xx series router and probably find yourself a cheap NM-16A card off of ebay.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    CiscoCertsCiscoCerts Member Posts: 112
    Yep, Somnipotent's got it right here. 2501 will do you no good as far as an access sever goes. I've got the NM-32A stuffed into a 2651xm works great!
  • Options
    johnwest43johnwest43 Member Posts: 294
    check ebay for Digi Port servers. i have a 16 port model that i got used for 25 bucks.
    CCNP: ROUTE B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B , SWITCH B][COLOR=#ff0000]x[/COLOR][/B, TSHOOT [X ] Completed on 2/18/2014
  • Options
    Would a 2509 or 2524 work instead of the 2511?
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    look it up on the cisco website via google

do they have enough serial ports ?
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    I think instead of an access server I'll just go with a usb-to-4 or 8 serial port adapter, that should work just as well right?
  • Options
    It'll work.
  • Options
    certmistercertmister Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just set up a 6 Port Serial Card in Ubuntu and mapped the serial ports to TCP ports with ser2net. I can without a doubt recommend you go this Route. I was looking at getting a Cisco Access Server a few weeks back but they are too expensive. A Linux Server set up as an Access Server will be just as good it not better.
  • Options
    We use multi port serial cards at work.
    Have worked reliably for years. Use the moxa brand.

Also use a good lot of easy synch usb2serial adaptors
  • Options
    I only have a laptop right now, so I need a usb serial hub. I'll check out easy synch. I'd prefer 8 ports (since I currently have six devices, want room to grow), right now the best I could find is a 4 port startech hub for $60, the 8 port hubs seem more expensive than 2 4 port hubs!
  • Options
    to start with maybe just get one plain usb2serial connector and go from there ?

2x4 port or 1x 8 port - up to you

what ever you get , make sure to check for drivers for your os of choice

the easy synch ones are based on the ftdichip chips and have drivers for linux , mac and windows

For my lab I'm still looking for a cheap nm32
    Most seem to go for around $250 on ebay
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have a 3845 and 3825, so I hope to use one of those as an access server by buying one of those NM16 cards (I don't plan on getting 32 Cisco Devices and accruing a $200 electric bill a month). I want to comfortably remote/ssh vice physically be next to the devices (though you could RDP/SSH into the device with the USB to serial connections).