Options

Windows Server 2008 R2

stevo7624stevo7624 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can anyone give me a clue on what resources I could use to learn Windows Server 2008 R2 from the ground up. I really have no experience with it, but have a copy of the Standard edition that I would like to start playing with. I saw some reviews on the Sams book (Learn it in 24 hours series). Some reviews mentioned it was very helpful in getting it set up and working, and gave a decent knowledge of it. Again I need to learn from a beginner standpoint. Thanks ahead of time.

Steve

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Install it in a lab... spare computer, virtual machine, whatever.
  • Options
    stevo7624stevo7624 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    Install it in a lab... spare computer, virtual machine, whatever.

Thats what I am planning. I have both options but will probably do a virtual machine.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    In addition to what Everyone mentioned, don't forget one of the best resources out there: Technet. Every MS product will have tons of documented info including what's new, planning, deployment, ops, security and troubleshooting. There's even a number of virtual labs you can access in an RDP type scenario which you can try to replicate in your lab later on.
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In my opinion, the best way for someone new to IT to learn is by video training. Books are great, but being able to see demos and have someone explain things on video is a fast way to learn. Trainsignal has some great videos on Windows Server...of course they cost around $400. I did a quick youtube search and I found this Windows server 2008 training 1 - YouTube. There is a series of these videos, so this may initially help. If the expense of training videos is too much, then of course buying a book is a great idea, and the more you learn, the less you should need video training, since you would build up enough of a background to pick up new tech quickly.

Unfortunately, I don't have any specific recommendations for Windows 2008 books icon_sad.gif