Options

Opinions wanted on a CCENT/CCNA lab

stangmanstangman Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just wanted to get some opinions from everyone on to which resources to use for my CCENT/CCNA studies. As far as books and CBT's I have that covered very well. I have Wendall Odom's ICND1 &2 books, Todd Lammle 6th and 7th edition CCNA, CBT Nuggets CCNA series. Chris Bryant's stuff as well plus two more Cisco books. So self study is well taken care of. My question though is over time I have been able to accumalate the following pieces of equipment through work. (No longer needed).

Console laptop running Back Track 5 R1 (minicom emulator loaded)

Routers:

1 - 1720
1 - 1841
1 - 2611
1 - 2620
1 - 2621
1- c4700

Switch:
1 - 2820

I have borrowed from a family member the following;

1 - 1924EN
1 - 2924XL
1 - 2502
2 - 2610's
1 - 2611

Out of all of this which of these pieces would you use and hook up and why to make the best lab. Kinda like the best bang for the buck sort of thing. My future plans are to acquire more switches and to continue with my Cisco studies. icon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    That is alot of equipment that you have access to. I didn't have access to anything when I started.

I used a few 2600s and a few 2950 switches. I have a few 2500s and a 1900 switch also, but they don't get much use.
  • Options
    ipSpaceipSpace Member Posts: 147
    Well if you are planning to buy them then my opinion is to not do that. You can use Packet Tracer for Switching and GNS3 for routing.

If you already have them, then it's more than enough. Maybe add another switch or 2.

My Network & Security Blog with a focus on Fortigate. New post on how to create a fortigate ssl vpn.
  • Options
    Thanks SharkDiver
  • Options
    Well if you are planning to buy them then my opinion is to not do that. You can use Packet Tracer for Switching and GNS3 for routing.

If you already have them, then it's more than enough. Maybe add another switch or 2.

I own all except what I borrowed from my family member. I do plan on purchasing maybe one or two more switches. I also have Packet Tracer and GNS3 as well. I forgot to mention that earlier. As I stated on don't plan on stopping after just the CCNA, I plan to go further.
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Thats plenty of routers.
    maybe a more recent switch 2950 or 3550 (L3)

Also check how much ram and flash the routers have, you may need/want to upgrade them
    so you can load a recent ios image.

Do the routers have any wics ? and the cables to go with them ?
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    alxx wrote: »
    Thats plenty of routers.
    maybe a more recent switch 2950 or 3550 (L3)

Also check how much ram and flash the routers have, you may need/want to upgrade them
    so you can load a recent ios image.

Do the routers have any wics ? and the cables to go with them ?

The routers are all on a fairly recent IOS. i have been watching out for 2950 & 3550 switches. I have the cables to go along with everything. The routers also have the WICS in them. My line of thinking was which three routers would the best to choose from to lab on. I also want to thank all who have replied. Between studying, I have not had much time to think about which of these pieces to use to put the lab portion together and start labbing.
  • Options
    Could split it into two or more router labs.
    check if they are 2600's or 2600xm's

Just start small and build up to it.

maybe
    i.1841 , 1721 , 2x 2600

ii.3x 2600's , 4700 ,2500

see http://www.certskills.com/LabGear/CCNA/Topologies.aspx

Start small and eventually build up to the
    cisco campus architectures
    Enterprise Campus 3.0 Architecture: Overview and Framework - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    Could split it into two or more router labs.
    check if they are 2600's or 2600xm's

Just start small and build up to it.

maybe
    i.1841 , 1721 , 2x 2600

ii.3x 2600's , 4700 ,2500

see http://www.certskills.com/LabGear/CCNA/Topologies.aspx

Start small and eventually build up to the
    cisco campus architectures
    Enterprise Campus 3.0 Architecture: Overview and Framework - Cisco Systems

Cool, Thanks i appreciate it. Never thought of that. i like number two incoporating the 4700. I will check out those links.
  • Options
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    Router wise you sound all set, overkill actually especially if your 2600 series are XM. Like others have mentioned, just pickup 2-3 switches since you need atleast 2950+. If you are looking at also doing CCNP and having a physical lab I'd say go with some 3550's, if you're patient you can find some good deals on them on ebay.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I appreciate all the advice.
  • Options
    Got it setup and running yet ?
  • Options
    Got it setup and running yet ?

Not yet, that's what this long holiday is for. Planned on getting it setup this weekend.