Options

Is this book good for the Security+ 301?

Jason RJason R Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
I may take the 201 before the exam expires, but I'm not sure. If I study CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide by Darill Gibson, will it be enough to pass the 301 exam also? I was considering using Transcender to supplement the book. Thank you for any feedback.

Comments

• Options
    beingcertifiedbeingcertified Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just took my exam last week and ONLY used Darril's book and bought his MP3's to listen to and passed with an 840. Hell yeah it's enough. What I'm curious about is the book Darril wrote for the Microsoft Exam 98-367. Has anyone used that and where can I find practice questions after reading the book? Darril? I know you lurk here... can you let me know? I've just bought your Microsoft Windows Networking Essentials which I'm half through and it's great.. easy to read for the Network + exam.... Someone , anyone get back to me! Thanks ! Vane
  • Options
    SpadetiteSpadetite Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think the question he is asking is if the SY0-201 book will still be a valid resource when studying for the SY0-301 exam, without having to buy the new book? Was the same question I have. I bought Darill's book a few months ago and am only getting around to it now but won't have time to take the current exam before it expires. Would like to save money if I didn't have to buy the new book for the new exam.
  • Options
    KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    https://www.createspace.com/3651544 I just noticed the new version was available today. As well as if you have read the differences Blog by Darril you have a general idea of what to look more in depth on. I have the 201 book as well and should be sitting for this on 12/16/11 - I am waiting on a few things before that can happen. I will post more once I complete it.
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No, just take the 301. You're going to have to take it when you re-certify anyway. Unless there's a new one by that time. I used Lachance and Clarke's Practice Exams for the SYO-301 and got a pretty good score.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Jason R wrote: »
    I may take the 201 before the exam expires, but I'm not sure. If I study CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide by Darill Gibson, will it be enough to pass the 301 exam also? I was considering using Transcender to supplement the book. Thank you for any feedback.

Spadetite wrote: »
    I think the question he is asking is if the SY0-201 book will still be a valid resource when studying for the SY0-301 exam, without having to buy the new book? Was the same question I have. I bought Darill's book a few months ago and am only getting around to it now but won't have time to take the current exam before it expires. Would like to save money if I didn't have to buy the new book for the new exam.

There are other topics that you'll need to dig into but many people have posted on this forum that this used the 201 book with another resource and passed 301. This blog does describe some of the differences you'll need to look out for.
    Security+ SY0-201 and SY0-301 Differences If you don't want to get the new book and want to save some money, you may like to get the 301 practice test questions on Kindle to supplement your studies. Use Google to look up whatever doesn't make sense to you in the practice test questions book .
    I just took my exam last week and ONLY used Darril's book and bought his MP3's to listen to and passed with an 840. Hell yeah it's enough. What I'm curious about is the book Darril wrote for the Microsoft Exam 98-367. Has anyone used that and where can I find practice questions after reading the book? Darril? I know you lurk here... can you let me know? I've just bought your Microsoft Windows Networking Essentials which I'm half through and it's great.. easy to read for the Network + exam.... Someone , anyone get back to me! Thanks ! Vane

Glad you're enjoying the Microsoft Windows Networking Essentials book. I'm learning that others are using it to master much of the Network+ knowledge, and some are actually teaching Network+ with this book. Other than the questions in the book though, I don't know of other legitimate sources for practice test questions. However, there are practice test questions in that book. The answers are hidden in the back . The same goes for the Security Essentials book for the 98-367 exam.
    KrisA wrote: »
    https://www.createspace.com/3651544 I just noticed the new version was available today. As well as if you have read the differences Blog by Darril you have a general idea of what to look more in depth on. I have the 201 book as well and should be sitting for this on 12/16/11 - I am waiting on a few things before that can happen. I will post more once I complete it.
    Good luck on the 16th.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
    Security+ Tip Of Day