Options

Non-domain clients in AD Integrated DNS

LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
We hare about to get our own child domain. Our domain controllers will be 2008 standard with AD integrated DNS. 80% of the clients will be domain clients, but we do have two departments that are not on the domain. What would be the best way to integrate them into our DNS server? I have set up DNS servers before with W2K3 and W2K8, but never tried to integrate non-domain clients. These clients would need to resolve internally just like the domain clients and their info would also need to replicate.

Thanks,

--
Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
Currently Working On: Security+
2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

Comments

• Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What we do for our *Nix clients in our AD domain is create new Host (A) and Pointer (PTR) records in DNS for the clients. That way if a Windows box tries to Ping the client, it will resolve. Also make sure on the non-domain clients to assign DNS servers in their network configuration (if you are doing static IP's on them). If you create a DHCP reservation for them, then let DHCP assign them their DNS server addresses.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info. I thought that might be it, but wasn't sure if I had to do more.
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+