Options

ABout to take ICND2 on Friday

SpencerClarkSpencerClark Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been studying for a couple of months now with Odom's 2nd, GNS3, and some flash cards. I am still nervous as hell, but, now that I am heading into the final hours. I wanted to know how I should be spending my time? My plan is to setup labs for producing a network for ACL, EIGRP, OSPF, etc. with all of the bells and whistles and looking over all of the Key Topics in the book.

Any one got any tips or study guides?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have been studying for a couple of months now with Odom's 2nd, GNS3, and some flash cards. I am still nervous as hell, but, now that I am heading into the final hours. I wanted to know how I should be spending my time? My plan is to setup labs for producing a network for ACL, EIGRP, OSPF, etc. with all of the bells and whistles and looking over all of the Key Topics in the book.

Thanks in advance!
    Here's a couple of links that I recommend:
    Nik's Cisco CCNA Revision Notes
    Router Alley - Guides

Also; before you actually begin the test; jot down the subentting chart from /16 - /32 and every acronym and tidbit you can recall (the testing center will usually provide some scratch paper for calculations). Until then; just relax and review. If you fail; review the parts that you didn't do so well on and just try again. icon_wink.gif

Wish you well on the exam.....icon_thumright.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801

Thanks in advance!

Have a look at these as well:
    **** Sheets - Packet Life

I would attempt some practice exams (boson is highly recommended) and see if there are any areas your weak on. Then focus your brush up there.

Write your notes out as MrRyte noted before the exam.

Get a good nights sleep on Thursday and best of luck to you.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    Thanks guys! Big Help!
    Wish me luck! I'll report back in a couple of hours.
  • Options
    tink334tink334 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
  • Options
    Ugh. I got so close I got a 734. I felt ok about it. I think that another month of study and practice and I should be able to pass it.

On a side note, much of what I was tested on was based on application of the knowledge not just the knowledge itself. I guess that is Cisco for you! Thanks for the asking! Hopefully I will have better news next month.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I'm glad you have the right attitude. I'm sure you'll get it the second time around. :)
  • Options
    T.AbbasiT.Abbasi Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No worries dude you'll rock it next time. I'm in the same boat as you, I failed my first icnd2 attempt this past Saturday, and am scheduled to retake it this coming Saturday 11/19.

One comment, maybe more of an opinion, I highly suggest that if you dont succeed in your first attempt, dont wait for more than a month to retake it. I think that everything is fresh in your mind - I only gave myself a week to retake the exam. Then again everyone is different and has different ways to studying and what not. Anyhow, good luck, you'll do fine.

/regards.
  • Options
    altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
    Thanks for the sources in this thread. For you who took the ICND2, how did you do in the timing? I've heard from a number of people that did not complete the exam within the time given to them. I've been studying hard on my CCNA (passed ICND1 about a month ago), and plan to take it in another 2 weeks or so at the latest.
    CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
  • Options
    I just failed the composite yesterday with that very same issue, time management. I was bout 12 questions shy of completion with 10 minutes left and got hit with a simlet. Mind you I wasn't that far off from the passing score. I think with about 10 more minutes I would have been able to complete the questions I didn't have time for and pass with flying colors.

So, this week its a practice exam or two ever night in less than 60-70 minutes with high level completion. Interestingly, I was nailing the Boson composite exams in 60-70 minutes with scores in the upper 800s. I guess the first time Cisco exam jitters just got the better of me.
    On a side note, much of what I was tested on was based on application of the knowledge not just the knowledge itself.

I had this same experience.

• Options
    onesaint wrote: »
    I just failed the composite yesterday with that very same issue, time management. I was bout 12 questions shy of completion with 10 minutes left and got hit with a simlet. Mind you I wasn't that far off from the passing score. I think with about 10 more minutes I would have been able to complete the questions I didn't have time for and pass with flying colors.

So, this week its a practice exam or two ever night in less than 60-70 minutes with high level completion. Interestingly, I was nailing the Boson composite exams in 60-70 minutes with scores in the upper 800s. I guess the first time Cisco exam jitters just got the better of me.

I had this same experience.

What was it about you and the lack of time management? Is it just that when people take the exam, they're not aware of the timing so they're relaxed? Or is it just the material is that hard to answer in a quick manner?
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
  • Options
    altjx wrote: »
    What was it about you and the lack of time management? Is it just that when people take the exam, they're not aware of the timing so they're relaxed? Or is it just the material is that hard to answer in a quick manner?

I think its both for others. For me, I was well aware of my time (not staring at the clock mind you) and at 50% completion had time to finish with padding for harder questions. I got hit with a tough sim that lasted me (what I thought was) 15 minutes and that killed all of my cushion and ate into my remaining question time.

The material isn't hard once you know it. The application though can be.

Comprehending the questions in order to answer them takes time. You can account for that and figure to take so much time per question. That said, a nasty simlet can through all that out the window and then its cram time. See Odom's post on time here about time management.

• Options
    onesaint wrote: »
    I think its both for others. For me, I was well aware of my time (not staring at the clock mind you) and at 50% completion had time to finish with padding for harder questions. I got hit with a tough sim that lasted me (what I thought was) 15 minutes and that killed all of my cushion and ate into my remaining question time.

The material isn't hard once you know it. The application though can be.

Comprehending the questions in order to answer them takes time. You can account for that and figure to take so much time per question. That said, a nasty simlet can through all that out the window and then its cram time. See Odom's post on time here about time management.

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks!
  • Options
    altjx wrote: »
    Ahh, gotcha. Thanks!

Happy to help.