Options

WGU MSIA: JFT2 course

colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
Just a quick note to let everyone know I HATE THIS COURSE! I haven' been able to devote a lot of time to it since the beginning of September with moving to SA and getting married, but I really, really dislike the material. The case study is dated (2002/205) and I just don't give a hoot about business scorecards. Working on task 2, hopeto finish it soon - taking way longer than I would like, but totally my fault since I keep procrastinating since I dislike it so much. I asked my mentor why this course was here instead of a prject management course, and he said the PM course was part of the undergrad degree program, and therefore they couldn't use it as a graduate-level course. It is the ONLY course that is not relevant. They should switch them around, or do something different.

OK, carry on. Just wanted to stand on my soap box for minute.
Working on: staying alive and staying employed

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i feel your pain

lack of interest is one of the big reasons i cant pass the 70-642

but i am interested in the security aspect of IT so ill be switching over to that degree
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    MusicITMusicIT Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I feel your pain too. I am currently taking JFT2 and stuck on the first task.
  • Options
    TAsk 2 is worse. icon_sad.gif But three looks to be a bit easier.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    colemic wrote: »
    Just a quick note to let everyone know I HATE THIS COURSE! I haven' been able to devote a lot of time to it since the beginning of September with moving to SA and getting married, but I really, really dislike the material. The case study is dated (2002/205) and I just don't give a hoot about business scorecards. Working on task 2, hopeto finish it soon - taking way longer than I would like, but totally my fault since I keep procrastinating since I dislike it so much. I asked my mentor why this course was here instead of a prject management course, and he said the PM course was part of the undergrad degree program, and therefore they couldn't use it as a graduate-level course. It is the ONLY course that is not relevant. They should switch them around, or do something different.

OK, carry on. Just wanted to stand on my soap box for minute.

I've not met you yet, I've been in San Antonio since 2007.... WHY ARE YOU HIDING?

Also, JFT2 ... I didn't like it either. Think I wasted just about two months on that one.

I'm just now getting ready to submit for LHT2, final paper .... These papers aren't a joke. Maybe the bachelor program is easier, but I don't see myself flying through anything, unless I did it like a job and quit working for a while.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Ha, not hiding, I moved to SA at the beginning of October, and work at Lackland.

I actually breezed through LHT2, I deal with accreditation though so the writing is easy for me, and I deal with laws and regs on a regular basis... It's just this scorecard crap I am having to muddle through. I think I am at 2.5 if not 3 months on this one. I am hesitant to turn it in because I don't if I am giving them what they are asking for, and I don'twant to have to start all over. :)
  • Options
    Agent47Agent47 Member Posts: 103
    Sorry but even though im a lil late on this thread I agree. This is the crappiest class I have taken thus far. The reading material I can deal with and its not that bad. But the fact that they take 3 tasks and make it on the same subject bothers me. A symphony and opera. Really? If I knew the innards or how both of those organizations worked i would probably be better off. I can't wait till im done so I can leave a nice review on it. All of my classes that actually deal with information security like the vulnerability assessment, cyberlaw and the like I have NOT had as many issues as I do with this class. In fact it came easier to me to do those assignments. I get that they want you do get an idea business wise on how to understand those types of operation but this class blows and should only be an option. Im currently stuck on task 3 trying to claw my way out of this hole. I would rather read a Cisco book and I don't even like those.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Oh yeah, I'm late back on this thread :D Haha. I have a large binder with all the notes and stuff from when I was writing my papers for JFT2 (Organizational Management). I'll admit that I asked my wife lots of questions and she gave me some good resources to complete that class. She pointed me in the right direction for all that scorecard stuff. She also assisted me with the qualitative analysis part of LHT2 (Cyberlaw). (She didn't DO any of the assignments for me, but she did give me some books and chapters to read.) Hint: Check out some of the PMP materials. All this time, I thought all of that stuff she was studying for quality and project management was just frivolous, but it came in handy to get these assignments done, and I actually saw some usefulness to it.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    I am stil on task 3 and it is ****.ME.OFF. 3rd revision, and all they are saying on the comments is that the submission needs to be reconsidered, clarified, or further supported. Which one??? (On one of the sections needing revising) I gotta have it done by the 31st (they take 4-5 days for grading each revision so far, and this is the last month of my term. This task was initially turned in on the 15th)

This is effing ridiculous and a waste of time. I get the need for the an organizational management class to be included, but it needs to be tailored to the program, not copied from an MBA program. Totally useless.
  • Options
    Nobi1969Nobi1969 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am also struggling with this course and the fact that I have no one to work with or discuss these tasks with is killing me. Would love to have some other people to bounce ideas around with and to learn with. Anyone on Google+ can probably find me at https://plus.google.com/u/0/101902633887709891547/about

Cheers!
  • Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    Im on this course as well, woo for Utah Opera and Symphony.

And I decided to do this class first, so I could just get it out of the way. Now i'm reading this and it's looking like im in it for the long haul...
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I did this course last term and I got a few rejects as well. It seemed I was repeating myself for each task and I found myself having to really put down some "wordy b.s." if you know what I mean. I made it very wordy in the hopes the grader would just say "aw to hell with it it" and stamp "complete" on it lol.
  • Options
    I turned in the last task (initially) on 15 December (term ended on 31 December), had to do revisions 3 stinking times. 2x more than I ever had before. This class to me highlighted the problem of having random graders: inconsistencies in the grading, and being far too generic in the comments. Telling me that a section needs to be "reconsidered, or clarified", means two different things - reconsidering means that I took the wrong approach or am not on the right track, revising/clarifiying means I AM on the right track, just not there yet. It was really frustrating, and I passed the last task officially on 30 December. If you are close to the end of your term, GET THIS KNOCKED OUT or it will bite you in the butt.
  • Options
    Working on Task 2 now. Just trying to figure out what a scorecard is even supposed to look like...
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    I start in March... you guys suggest just getting this one out of the way, or holding off for later?
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    Valsacar wrote: »
    I start in March... you guys suggest just getting this one out of the way, or holding off for later?

I decided to do it first because I wanted to get it out of the way, but I hadn't read this first... I still would say just get it over with. The first task isn't too bad and it gets you familiar with how WGU expects a paper to be written.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    Get it out of the way. It's a pain if you do it towards the end of a term, you can get time crunched like me, and that's not cool. It's the only course that isn't directly related to the degree (IMO) so knock it out and be done with it.
  • Options
    forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    To pass this course, you have to look past all the fancy vocabs and theories, and try to apply what you have read/learned to your work environment. I struggled a little bit with Task 2 and 3, and worst, I procrastinated for months on this course. When I had no choice but to finish Task 3 I realized the case study and Chapter 3 of the textbook was giving you all the information you need.

I actually enjoyed this course --- it wasn't easy at first. Even the mentor and course mentor said IT people tend to struggle with it. But if you have ever seen office politics (and I'm sure you have if you're in the MS ISA program), the stuffs make sense! It feels great once you've connected the dots.

My humble advice: read, read, and re-read the case study before you attempt the Tasks. The instructions will be clear, and you brain will thank you. And, don't procrastinate.
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    To pass this course, you have to look past all the fancy vocabs and theories, and try to apply what you have read/learned to your work environment. I struggled a little bit with Task 2 and 3, and worst, I procrastinated for months on this course. When I had no choice but to finish Task 3 I realized the case study and Chapter 3 of the textbook was giving you all the information you need.

I actually enjoyed this course --- it wasn't easy at first. Even the mentor and course mentor said IT people tend to struggle with it. But if you have ever seen office politics (and I'm sure you have if you're in the MS ISA program), the stuffs make sense! It feels great once you've connected the dots.

My humble advice: read, read, and re-read the case study before you attempt the Tasks. The instructions will be clear, and you brain will thank you. And, don't procrastinate.

Thanks for the advice. This is going to be one of my first classes...I just want to get it out of the way....and leave it in the dust:D Do you use a tablet for reading the ebooks?
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    jgdixonjgdixon Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did not search for any forums about this course until tonight. Like several others I put this course off until the last couple weeks of my term. The turn around time for grading bit me in the butt. I ended up not getting finished in my term. I have all of the assignments in but needed revisions. I hope to have it done in the first two weeks of this term so that I can focus on what I am supposed to be doing.

Task 2 has come back twice, and Task 3 got butchered and returned once. Working on resubmitting them now. Task 1 was not too bad.

I seriously don't understand the "key factors" part of task 3 though, it is starting to irritate me!
  • Options
    The dots never connected with me. I am thankful that I got past it, but I certainly didn't learn anything from the course. (Except that operas a symphonies can both be filled with divas. Wait. I already knew that, LOL)

Sure I have seen office politics, but not in the private sector. When your performance is not tied to monetary success, (like working for the guv) it changes the perspective a bit.

• Options
    jgdixon wrote: »
    I did not search for any forums about this course until tonight. Like several others I put this course off until the last couple weeks of my term. The turn around time for grading bit me in the butt. I ended up not getting finished in my term. I have all of the assignments in but needed revisions. I hope to have it done in the first two weeks of this term so that I can focus on what I am supposed to be doing.

Task 2 has come back twice, and Task 3 got butchered and returned once. Working on resubmitting them now. Task 1 was not too bad.

I seriously don't understand the "key factors" part of task 3 though, it is starting to irritate me!

I had to do one revision for task 1 and 2 as well. Just working on task 3 now, fun stuff! Really just want to be done with this one. At least the case study was put together from some Harvard guys, so it makes me feel smart?
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    I am also working on Task 3 right now. I attended the webinar for the past 2 weeks and have found the information that Dr. Allred gives out to be quite helpful. If you are stuck he will help you.
  • Options
    MusicIT wrote: »
    I am also working on Task 3 right now. I attended the webinar for the past 2 weeks and have found the information that Dr. Allred gives out to be quite helpful. If you are stuck he will help you.

I have talked to Dr. Allred via email, but have not attended any of his webinars yet. You found them to be helpfull?
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    Yes gave lots of hints for Task 3
  • Options
    brodricbrodric Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Guys,

I need some help, I working on LOT Task 3 and if I have this correct, I have to conduct an information gathering exercise for an actual company, I don't wanna land behind bars. Can anyone give me any pointers ?
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This class (JFT2) is a royal painicon_scratch.gificon_scratch.gificon_scratch.gif
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    weebnutsweebnuts Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    YEs, JFT2 definitely sucks. Thanks for letting others know your frustration, I thought it was just me. It seems that nobody uses the WGU community forums either.

I started this class at the beginning of Feb, but decided to do another class first and now back to JFT2 and I can remember why I put it off. I finished Task 1, but have been waiting for 4 days for Taskstream to grade it. I'm now trying to do Task 2, and I think it won't be too bad once you jump in. The key is to just jump in to the tasks and get it done. It seems that none of us IT people like this stuff and you don't want this class to disrupt the progress of the degree, so just get it done as quick as you can.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is this course similar to Organizational Behavior? Or for WGU grads, LET1/ORC1 on steroids?

Also, I'm curious to know what the rubric looks like. I am taking an Organizational Behavior class, and while one task whooped my butt, it was nothing like how you guys are describing (in terms of being a pain...)

I suspect that if I transfered to a WGU MS, my Org Behavior course would transfer to JFT2. That's not happening, but if I did want to, I suspect that's what would happen.
  • Options
    weebnutsweebnuts Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Is this course similar to Organizational Behavior? Or for WGU grads, LET1/ORC1 on steroids?
    Yes, it is an Organizational Behavior course. However, a self-paced Organizational Behavior course is not fun for most technical people. It would be much easier if it was an in person class, but the self-study makes it hard when you aren't interested in it.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I start my MS on May 1st. First up is this class... Luckily I'm out of work so I can put 8+ hours a day into it. Then LYT1 followed by TFT2. My goal is pump out 17 CU first term. Not sure how realistic that goal is yet.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013