Options

First Rack Suggestions/Help

SeenSeen Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I'm putting together my first rack for my CCNA lab and I want it to hold the following:

3 2950 switches
1 1841 Router
1 1760 Router
1 2621XM Router
1 Access Server
1 Power Strip

This is the rack I was planning on getting:

Amazon.com: OnStage RS7030 Rack Stand: Musical Instruments

However, the 1841 is too small to be rack mounted. I was thinking about getting a shelf, but this rack is slanted, and I don't think it's a good idea to put a shelf on it.

Anyone with more rack building experience have any ideas?

Also, I was planning to rear-mount the routers and front-mount the switches for easy access to the ports I need the most. Does this sound like a good idea? Like I said, I've never put together a rack before, so any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Not sure if you have the space, but Have you considered the Dantrak racks? They are very popular here and come from 12 to 28U.

Dantrak Net  - New and Used Networking Equipment and Peripherals. Skeletek Racks and Accessories.
  • Options
    terryferaterryfera Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not a rack suggestion but take a look for the 1841 rack mount kit, they make a 19" compatible mount for it and it will probably be cheaper than a shelf :)u
  • Options
    sasprosaspro Member Posts: 114
    I had a similar rack to that. It lasted a week before I outgrew it.
  • Options
    jude56gjude56g Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
    terryfera wrote: »
    Not a rack suggestion but take a look for the 1841 rack mount kit, they make a 19" compatible mount for it and it will probably be cheaper than a shelf :)u

Indeed, there is a rack mount kit for the 1841. You can probably find it from non-cisco vendors too on the cheap.
  • Options
    Version4Version4 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I second cyberguypr's recommendation for the Skeletek racks. If I had to do it over again, I would have purchased a Skeletek primarily because of the mobility of the frame. My 72u is almost full, and due to space constraints it is positioned in a non-optimal fashion. If it had casters I would be set. I'll probably do some modification later on to add some casters.....

Since I always find myself wanting to move/add/change things on my rack, ease of access is key.

Also as others have stated, plan for the future and consider purchasing a larger rack. If you continue your studies, you will thank yourself later.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jude56g wrote: »
    Indeed, there is a rack mount kit for the 1841. You can probably find it from non-cisco vendors too on the cheap.
    Hmm, where are these sold exactly? I have two 1841's that are just sitting in my rack.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    tattoo_techtattoo_tech Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Very nice set-up. How far are you planning on going? The 1841 is a little pricy for CCNA stuff. I was able to do every lab through CCNP route with 2 2621 non-XM, 1 2621XM and a 2651XM. For the price of the 1841 you could get 3 2600 series XM routers fully maxed on memory. I have to agree on the access server, I have the AS2511-RJ and love it.

TT
  • Options
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Hmm, where are these sold exactly? I have two 1841's that are just sitting in my rack.

I see them all the time on e-Bay
  • Options
  • Options
    I see them all the time on e-Bay
    I've seen them, too. BUT... I'm very **** about my rack and want them facing the other way.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »

Erg... $50 to make it pretty. Is it worth the price? It would be over $100 since I have two. Someone want to get me an early Christmas present :)
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Man! I really like those racks. I have the On-Stage that Seen posted.

TT
  • Options
    I like mine a lot, very strong and can handle a lot of weight. The only thing that sucks is the cage and nut installation, ouch.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I just got a 20u rack from skeletek with the option to add the 2nd post. It's nice to be able to add full servers down the road if needed as well as be able to add additional U's. The VM server build I am currently working on will be installed in a rackmount case. The cage nuts are not to bad, use a small flathead screwdriver.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I have the first generation 1841, which makes the mount around 60 with shipping. I did get the router for free from a friend, so I'm not complaining.

As far as growing the rack, I'm more of a security guy than a network guy, so while I may go on to get the CCNA Security, and add a firewall or two down the line for other certs, I don't see myself going for a CCNP. Also my space is kind of limited, and I was just planning on putting this in a corner of my living room. I really don't even have a desk, just a dining room table I use, but I don't have a job and the rent is free ;)

So I think I'll go for the Amazon rack and then see if I can't come up with a hacked solution like just setting it on the power strip on the bottom. If not I can always buy the $60 adapter later, it will still be cheaper than the Skeletek including the cost of shipping it and buying a shelf

Also, I think instead of an access server I'll just go with a usb-to-4 or 8 port adapter, that should work just as well right?

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Options
    Can anyone recommend a good rack power strip for $40-$50?

I'm only going to be using my lab for 1-3 hours a day, and I'll turn it off after that, so I'd like something easy to switch on and off. Also, I'd like a little surge protection if possible in that price range.

Is it better to put the power strip on the top or bottom of the rack, or does it matter?
  • Options
    Seen wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good rack power strip for $40-$50?

I'm only going to be using my lab for 1-3 hours a day, and I'll turn it off after that, so I'd like something easy to switch on and off. Also, I'd like a little surge protection if possible in that price range.

Is it better to put the power strip on the top or bottom of the rack, or does it matter?

I have a Cyberpower CPS-1215RM Rackmount PDU Power Strip . Although no surge protection, not bad for $35.
    cp.jpg 95.2K
  • Options
    Check Guitar Center...