Options

Future of IT?

rapyokerapyoke Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everybody, I'm currently a 19 year college student working part-time as a network administrator (I really love my job, the people are great and I'm the go-to IT guy on a lot of days). I currently have my CCNA, MCP, and MCTS, and am studying for my B.S. in I.T. and CCNP. The plan is ultimately to move into security (I've heard security is difficult to break into right out of school).

My one concern is that computers are becoming easier and easier to configure, and with the prevalence of cloud or internet-based services (as well as the bandwith to support them) it seems to me like there won't be a demand for competent IT people for very long. I was thinking of switching majors to go into C.S., but I'm not very good with math. Can anybody provide some feedback, or possibly just reassure me that I've made the right career choice?

[X]70-270 - Configuring Windows XP Professional
[X]70-680 - Configuring Windows 7
[X]640-802 - CCNA
[ ] MCITP

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Doomed, the end is near! Become a Liberal Arts major while you still can! Save yourself!

j/k ;)

There are quite a few threads on this out there already.
  • Options
    Version4Version4 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi rapyoke,

Congratulations on your achievements! You have done very well for yourself and that is great!

My suggestion to you would be to do what you love and what comes natural. If you love IT Systems and Networking and have a direct passion for it that is not monetarily related, you will continue to excel. Be an expert in your field, which it sounds like you are on your way, and you will never have to worry about not being in demand.

One of the best things you can do in any field is to network with others and market yourself. Build up your personal network by attending local user groups, trade shows, and vendor expos. Others will see what you have to offer and your opportunities will be endless.

To answer your question, I don’t think you will have to worry about the demand for competent IT people. While it is true, a lot of products and services are now a commodity, you will have to focus your attention on the advancements in your favorite technology and become the best that you can be.

Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    According to Turgon, the IT guy of business's will be seen less and less with the migration to the cloud and big data centers. He figured 3 years or so till they will be phased out. Basically he puts it that if you are not in the top majority of IT workers, in terms of knowledge/experience and being an expert in one field/technology, you will need to look for employment elsewhere. Granted there will be exceptions, but you get the idea.

So, figure in 4-5 years on going back to school for something else, unless you are in the top majority. That's what I'll have to do if what he says happens in that time frame.

Sorry bud. Should have went into the Arts, Studying the environment, or for religion. icon_lol.gif I don't think they'll ever go away. Haha.
  • Options
    Mc5ullyMc5ully Banned Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LucasMN wrote: »
    According to Turgon, the IT guy of business's will be seen less and less with the migration to the cloud and big data centers. He figured 3 years or so till they will be phased out. Basically he puts it that if you are not in the top majority of IT workers, in terms of knowledge/experience and being an expert in one field/technology, you will need to look for employment elsewhere. Granted there will be exceptions, but you get the idea.

So, figure in 4-5 years on going back to school for something else, unless you are in the top majority. That's what I'll have to do if what he says happens in that time frame.

Sorry bud. Should have went into the Arts, Studying the environment, or for religion. icon_lol.gif I don't think they'll ever go away. Haha.

I'm not sure I really believe that. I would agree that some jobs will go away, but there will always be a need for help desk techs in companies. Unless they all get outsourced of course.

I could see DB admins going away; aside from companies that store their own local DBs and cloud companies.

Sounds like right now would be a good time for me to learn programming or take night classes toward another major just in case though.
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I won't believe it till I see it happen around here personally, then it will hit home and I'll convert to a beliver. It's what he always says when topics like this come up and everyone seems to go along with it, so I figured I'd get the ball rolling and inform the OP of one opinion.

I hear ya on the programming though, seems that has a pretty good future.
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    I look at the cloud sort of like how I look at 3D TV/Movies. It looks and sounds cool, and it will probably take over, but it doesn't appear like it will be anytime soon. In any case, I'll make as much money as I can now, so that I won't have to rely on IT in the future!
  • Options
    Mc5ullyMc5ully Banned Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I won't believe it till I see it happen around here personally, then it will hit home and I'll convert to a beliver. It's what he always says when topics like this come up and everyone seems to go along with it, so I figured I'd get the ball rolling and inform the OP of one opinion.

I hear ya on the programming though, seems that has a pretty good future.

The only thing that worries me about going into programming are that there are so many CS majors and programmers out there already. Plus, think of all the IT workers that will move that direction and everyone else that moves into the programming field. They will be a dime a dozen.

My hope is to get into IT management well before this "end of days" happens, or get a degree in something in a different field altogether.
  • Options
    ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I sure hope this doesn't happen. I want to continue a career in IT, but I don't want to do it in programming. Just not my cup of tea. If it does happen, then it means that some of us may not be able to get a job, and then we gotta start back down at the bottom.

I'm gonna go ahead and just push the day that this happens up about 40 years. That way, when it does happen, I'll be happily retired from my IT career. :)
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783

"the top majority of IT workers" ehhh so where exactly is the line for this ? what kind of jobs do you think will disappear in 3 years?
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    The Cloud = Skynet

We all know that ended... lol.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237

This made my day thank's icon_thumright.gif
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    phantasm wrote: »
    The Cloud = Skynet

We all know that ended... lol.

The Cloud will become self aware on 11.11.11

Oh wait, that's tomorrow!
  • Options
    ThePrimetimerThePrimetimer Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    The Cloud will become self aware on 11.11.11

Oh wait, that's tomorrow!

Of Course! 11.11.11
    It's On!
    (no pun intended)
    "You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done"
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    Plenty of places to always get a IT job.

Hospitals will always need them, patients information will never leave the hospital site. Hell, most sensitive information from any company won't be leaving the site.

The Cloud is good for storing non sensitive information.

The Cloud is like Crystal Clear Pepsi. The hype will die.