Options

Passed my exam! Security+ Sy0-301

CK121CK121 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just wanted to say thanks to everybody in the forum - great support!! I passed earlier this week and the materials I used were:

1) Sybex Security+ Review Guide SY0-301 by James M. Steward - I used it as my main text and it did lack some detail. Then again, it was meant to be as a supplement to a main text.
2) Professor Messer's Videos
3) MeasureUp Test Engine - I think this helped me the most since it got me in the right frame of mind i.e. applying the knowledge rather than just memorising definitions.
4) The TechExams forum - thanks once again! :D

Comments

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz and thanks for posting study material! No Darril Gibson material?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Congratz and thanks for posting study material! No Darril Gibson material?

Yeah, I didn't use any Darril Gibson texts since his Sy0-301 study guide isn't out. However, I did read some articles on his blog and he did reply to several of my threads which helped. Thanks again everyone!
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Congrats on the pass!

Whats next?
  • Options
    Devilry wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass!

Whats next?

Next will be trying to secure a job where they will pay for my certs!icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Congrats CK121!

I am awaiting my digital courseware and exam voucher for this so I can pass it and get my Sec+ icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    DivaMamaDivaMama Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! I'm new to this site...just registered today. I am taking a week boot camp on 28 Nov but I want to be as prepared as I can before I go. Can you give me information on how to access Professor Messer's videos and the MeasureUp Test Engine? Thank you!
  • Options
    DivaMama wrote: »
    Congratulations! I'm new to this site...just registered today. I am taking a week boot camp on 28 Nov but I want to be as prepared as I can before I go. Can you give me information on how to access Professor Messer's videos and the MeasureUp Test Engine? Thank you!

Professer Messer's videos are all free. Access them here:
    Professor Messer's Free CompTIA SY0-301 Security+ Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training

The MeasureUp Test Engine I got through a company called "Grace Tech Solutions" because they offered a discount when I purchased my Prometric Test Voucher from them (also discounted).
    CompTIA Security+ Vouchers - Prometric / VUE Exam Security+ Voucher Test Discount

However, it took almost 3 days for them to send me the correct code to download my MeasureUp Test Engine. On their website it does say 24-48 hours for delivery but I had to chase them up since the company who supplies them with the MeasureUp Test Engine code, sent them the wrong code - the SY0-201 version. I wanted the SY0-301 version. They did offer me a further $10 discount which was good. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to receive the code. I would recommend about 1 week's of exam practice questions before your actual exam date - seemed to work for me anyway!

HTH.
  • Options
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Congrats CK121!

I am awaiting my digital courseware and exam voucher for this so I can pass it and get my Sec+ icon_cheers.gif

Thanks! Good luck on your studies!
  • Options
    asoftasoft Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    beingcertifiedbeingcertified Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CK121 wrote: »
    Just wanted to say thanks to everybody in the forum - great support!! I passed earlier this week and the materials I used were:

1) Sybex Security+ Review Guide SY0-301 by James M. Steward - I used it as my main text and it did lack some detail. Then again, it was meant to be as a supplement to a main text.
    2) Professor Messer's Videos
    3) MeasureUp Test Engine - I think this helped me the most since it got me in the right frame of mind i.e. applying the knowledge rather than just memorising definitions.
    4) The TechExams forum - thanks once again! :D

Congrats! I just took the Green IT exam today and passed, Monday took the Network Plus on the 2nd of November finally took Security Plus. I wish I would have taken them years ago. Wouldn't have to worry about them expiring then! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!!! Vanessa
  • Options
    mrvl13mrvl13 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats, this forum is excellent.