Options

Recruiters and your SSN

Version4Version4 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just had quite a few recruiters call me this afternoon about the same job. This job appeared nice, but near the end of the conversation, the recruiter said "I need your SSN to submit this job application". Immediately, out of reflex, I said I'm not providing my SSN over the phone. I had to go into a very lengthy discussion with one of the recruiters on why I feel the way I do. He took it as a personal attack against his character. After I got it into his head that I didn't have a problem with him, or his recruiting company, or the company I would be applying to, but with the actual process of delivering my SSN over the phone, I think it sunk in.

While I realize your SSN is not the sacred jewels anymore and they are all probably out there anyway, why excite the matter? I've dealt with plenty of recruiters and applied for many jobs, many of whom require a SSN on the application. The difference here is a company who requires a SSN on the application now takes responsibility for that information, they are not a 3rd party like the recruiter is. While I don't agree with submitting a SSN even on a company application, it is a standard and flawed pre-hire process.

icon_silent.gif

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Are you kidding me? You have no obligation to explain yourself to anyone. That recruiter is lucky you took time to make him understand where you are coming from. We all stand our ground on some issues. I will never budge on the SSN (early in the process) and the salary history questions.
  • Options
    protoclprotocl Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The thing is: since using an Resume is traditional, in-order to extend ones' interest in a position - supplying an SS should be also a related tradition; to be supplied after the fact of being Hired.
    I am sure, there are reputable organizations that need an SS to create a profile per individuals, but how to know for-sure?

Sorry to those, who are Recruiters on this Forum, but I have passion-of-dislike for Technology Recruiters, NON-technical Managers and the like.
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    was this for AT&T?
  • Options
    Version4Version4 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes it was for AT&T
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree with you. I'm a legal citizen, if you choose to hire me then I can provide it for you.

Unfortunately in the past I probably would have done it because I wanted the job that bad. At this point in my career, I'm pretty happy with where I'm at so I'm likely to stick to my beliefs and tell them to F off if they aren't willing to work with me.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's a TRAP!!! Never ever give it to a recruiter... once you are hired, then you give your employer the number.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    There is absolutely no way I would provide my personal information such as my SSN to a third party over the phone. If they are interested and want to continue the hiring process then the necessary information will be provided at that time. I recently was asked for a SSN when applying online for a job. (Are you kidding). I simply put the wrong SSN number.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)