Options

Question about OSPF Areas

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
Is it ever okay to place all OSPF interfaces in different areas? I'm asking because with inter-area routing, there is less information passed about the network if an advertisement list a different area. So would this make for less overhead and be beneficial to a network? Or is this a big no no and would cripple convergence somehow? Also, if this were done, would ALL routers be considered area border routers?
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    are you asking if it would be OK to place all the interfaces of ONE router in different areas, or would it be OK to place all the interfaces of ALL routers in different areas?

Remember, all areas must connect back to area 0. If you have all the interfaces of all routers in different areas, you're going to need a bunch of virtual links going back to area 0.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All interfaces on all routers is what I meant. So this is not okay for the network as far as overhead goes?
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Well, I'm not sure about overhead, aside from the fact that the router in Area 0 will have wayyyy too many LSDB, and how the loop prevention mechanism/path calculation would work, but can you imagine configuring this from a management point of view? If something breaks, how do you even begin to troubleshoot it?