Options

Questions about this certification

Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is this still going to be available for a while or is Microsoft planning to retire it soon? If it's going to be around for a while, what's a good book to study from?

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I saw that they released dates for June of 2012 and this exam is not on there, so you are probably safe. Out of curiosity, why do you want this exam? 70-680 can be used in the MCSA/MCSE and will also apply to your MCITP work.

The only thing that the 270 would get you that the 680 wouldn't is an MCP. But you could get that from the 70-290, 70-291, or any other of the MCSE certs.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm trying to improve my resume. Do you think it would be better to take the 680?
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Michael2 wrote: »
    I'm trying to improve my resume. Do you think it would be better to take the 680?

Yes, unless you are trying to give your resume that vintage I-haven't-updated-my-skills-in-10-years look.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Yes, unless you are trying to give your resume that vintage I-haven't-updated-my-skills-in-10-years look.
    I like to hand-write my MCSA cert in a nice calligraphy-style on my resume, then fold and seal the whole thing with a wax stamp.

All joking aside, unless you have a particular reason to need the full certification on XP, (like if the company you worked for required it,) go straight to Windows 7 at this point. If you find yourself working on XP, Vista, or even 2000 Pro, you can always pick up a book on any one of them and apply most of the skills you learned while studying Windows 7.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.