Options

Study material for A+

ericsp1ericsp1 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I currently have the Mike Meyers book which I really don't like reading. Maybe it's the way he presents the material to the reader. Also his book doesn't contain the knew material that is required by the exam. Assuming it's all of the Windows 7 OS material.

Can someone suggest a book that covers all the material needed for both the A+ exams? and that is actually not bad to read.

I'm also currently using the LabSim software which is great but it to lacks the new required material for the exams.

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    ericsp1 wrote: »
    Can someone suggest a book that covers all the material needed for both the A+ exams? and that is actually not bad to read.
    I'm seeing some good things about this book: CompTIA A+ Training Kit (ISBN-10: 0735662681 on Amazon), but it won't be out until April and you'll probably be long certified in A+ by then....

This book, CompTIA A+ 220-701 and 220-702 Exam Cram by David Prowse is getting good reviews on Amazon. Generally, the Exam Cram books have less details and try to stick to the basics needed by the exam. This book, CompTIA A+ Cert Guide (220-701 and 220-702) by Mark Edward Soper, and two other authors is also getting good reviews on Amazon.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
    Security+ Tip Of Day
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I currently have the Mike Meyers book which I really don't like reading. Maybe it's the way he presents the material to the reader. Also his book doesn't contain the knew material that is required by the exam. Assuming it's all of the Windows 7 OS material.

I'm also currently using the LabSim software which is great but it to lacks the new required material for the exams.

Generally, most folks use and enjoy Meyers book. I am one of his fans.

The second book I recommend is from Sybex.

I'm not certain what type of 'style' you are looking for as the material presented in both the Meyer and Sybex texts are very clean and accurately presented.

Another method used by some is to simply download the objectives and research out each definition on your own and research your own concept. This is an excellent way to prepare and you are not left to someone else's explanation, but your own found facts.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    shortymackshortymack Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I use(d) Myers book, Exam cram and professor messers free vids. Great three way punch, helped me pass 701 just last thursday with an 825 with no previous IT training or job experience. Taking 702 in a couple weeks. Be sure to study alot! Good luck.
  • Options
    I'm not sure why I can't simply reply to the thread? When I hit reply it says enter login and password even after the fact I'm already logged in.

So the only way I'm able to apply is with "reply with Quote"

Ok I guess Firefox doesn't work to well with this site.
  • Options
    IE allows me to access this site fine now. Does anyone else have this issue?

I'm not sure what it is but Meyers book just doesn't hold me to reading it. Also I hate the fact that it doesnt even contain the new content needed for the exams which include windows 7.
  • Options
    If you don't wish to use Meyer's book. Perhaps don't.

I can only speak for myself and say that I enjoy his texts and have used them all since the first edition book. Others here will say the similar (as not all have used the book since its inception, however, many have used it and only used it and passed just fine. I recommend Sybex because long after I passed my exam, Sybex created a text and I purchase those along with Meyers and review them for the up-and-coming A+ people. Both are fine textbooks, not romance novels. However, you obviously disagree and that's cool. I'm simply reiterating the material presented in the text is solid.

As far as needed to seek out a handful of topics on your own, this is nothing new to the exam process and if you take more than the A+ exam, should be something you become familiar with as texts cannot possible keep up with technology changes. That stated, if you download the objectives, this is the material you need to know. If it is not on the objectives, then it shouldn't be on your exam, and if it does appear on your exam it wouldn't be something that is graded. It would be some of the beta questions that get slipped into tests to see where the candidate base knowledge level is at and how the questions work so when the new exam goes live, they have fair and accurate questions on the new exam.

I've run into a few people (very few) who didn't like the Meyer book. Most folks do like it, and as I said, the material he presents is handsdown the best to prepare for A+ exams with. (BTW, he's been authoring texts for A+ longer than anyone else ;) ).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions and thoughts. I just ordered Exam Cram by David Prowse.

The issue is I don't want to be caught off guard with questions I didn't study for.
  • Options

The issue is I don't want to be caught off guard with questions I didn't study for.

The goal is to know and understand the objectives. So if you focus on this issue rather than 'questions' you will do very well.

Objectives NOT questions ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    The goal is to know and understand the objectives. So if you focus on this issue rather than 'questions' you will do very well.

Objectives NOT questions ;)

Sorry I keep getting them confused.
  • Options
    LonghairLonghair Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have read the Mike Meyer's book:
    • CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 & 220-702) ISBN-10: 0071701338
    Along with the update for the book:
    • Mike Meyers' Guide to Supporting Windows 7 for CompTIA A+ Certification (Exams 701 & 702) (All-in-One) ISBN-10: 0071763929
    My scores on the practice tests are in the upper 90's (97% and higher) each time I take them but I didn't feel like I was ready. I ended up purchasing some videos that come with the Transcender practice exams and talk about being shocked after taking them with only the Mike Meyer's information: 62% / 66%.

One of the biggest differences between the Mike Meyer's practice tests and the Transcender's practice tests is the wording of the questions. Meyer's makes his questions very easy to follow - almost giving you the answer - when reading it, where as Transcender's questions need to be read a couple of times slowly to understand exactly what they are asking. Another big difference is that Meyer's multiple choice answers are obvious in their choices, where Transcender's needs a lot more thought into picking the correct answer based on the question.

Don't get me wrong about Mike Meyer's books though. There is good information in there, just not enough to pass the exams using the books alone.

Use different resources - books, videos, real machines, virtual machines, etc. Study hard but also take breaks between your studies to let the information sink in. The most important thing to remember is this: Just because a studying technique worked for your friend does not mean that it will work for you and vice versa.
  • Options
    So far I'm enjoying the Exam Cram by David Prowse. It might be the way the information is presented but it's much more interesting. It also seems to focus much more on what I will need to know for the exam.

Thanks everyone for the suggestion.
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    I used the Mike Myers AIO, David Prouse Exam Cram, and Professor Messers free videos. I passed both exams with a score of around 850, with about a years worth of hands on experience as a bench tech. I would definitely suggest using the videos and exam cram for a final review. Mike Myers book is a must have when studying for the A+.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    will a 200+page book really be necessary to understand the win7 portion of the new exam?
  • Options
    pruspeter wrote: »
    will a 200+page book really be necessary to understand the win7 portion of the new exam?

To 'understand' Windows 7 throughly, probably not.

Review the objectives for what is covered and depending on the text, a 200+pg book could be adequate. However, as the question is written, no, I would say that if you want to really have a handle on one particular OS, one text and one small book probably won't cover MOST of the material.

IIRC, the Meyers and the Sybex texts exceed 200 pages so, which book are you considering?
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm currently using the Mike Myers A+ AIO book myself to study. One thing I have noticed is that Myers' style of clarity is similar to Darril Gibson's, who's Secirity+ book I really enjoyed. Perhaps the two should co-author a book?
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    DooberDoober Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Folks, I'm brand new to the forum and just wanted to say thanks for the info provided!! I'm currently taking the on-line CompTIA A+ course, then followed by Network+ and Security+.....eventually working on to my MCITP.

I have an ITP college education (graduated in 2002), with about 15 years of personal experience to date, but due to some unforeseen circumstances my career headed in another direction over the past 8 years. Recently I've shuffled back into the IT profession, but feel I'm lacking the credentials...which brings me to today and the certifications icon_smile.gif

Along with the on-line study, i have also purchased the Mike Meyers AIO A+ Certification Seventh Edition and so far it seems pretty decent. I find it interesting that some people suggest that this book is not enough to prepare for the exam, and so in taking their good advice i'm going to set out for the Sybex (i believe this is what i heard it called) book as well. I am brand new to certification exams so any advice would be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif Thanks in advance!!
  • Options
    BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    I used 3 resources for my A+ preparation.

Mike Meyers AIO 7th ed.
    David Prowse Exam Cram 5th ed.
    Professor Messer videos & 1 hour monthly study groups

Mike Meyers I found to be very long. Dry at times due to the amount of content but definitely a solid resource with an abundance of information.

The exam cram I thought was a very well written straight to the point, Was also quite short in length but I don't feel as though there was anything lacking which was good. I will continue to buy exam cram for upcoming certifications after reading the A+ version.

Professor Messer videos are quite short and to the point and provide up to date information and the price is right.
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Darril wrote: »
    I'm seeing some good things about this book: CompTIA A+ Training Kit (ISBN-10: 0735662681 on Amazon), but it won't be out until April and you'll probably be long certified in A+ by then....

This book, CompTIA A+ 220-701 and 220-702 Exam Cram by David Prowse is getting good reviews on Amazon. Generally, the Exam Cram books have less details and try to stick to the basics needed by the exam. This book, CompTIA A+ Cert Guide (220-701 and 220-702) by Mark Edward Soper, and two other authors is also getting good reviews on Amazon.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
    Security+ Tip Of Day

Any chance CompTIA A+ Training Kit(ISBN-10: 0735662681 on Amazon) will be released this month? It looks like it was pushed back.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Sorry, but no. This is for the 220-801 and 220-802 exams that aren't due out until the end of September or early October. I have my head down coloring as hard as I can and hope to have it out about the same time as the new exams are released.
  • Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Darril wrote: »
    Sorry, but no. This is for the 220-801 and 220-802 exams that aren't due out until the end of September or early October. I have my head down coloring as hard as I can and hope to have it out about the same time as the new exams are released.

Thank you for the update. I want to take the 220-801 and 802 exams, I will be purchasing a copy as soon as it is available.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1